What we're about
Who We Are
Hi Members We are seasoned (defined as Aged 50+) travelers and friends of travelers who meet and greet to make friends and enjoy fun trip near and far. I am new to Wake County ( I live in Wake Forest). I am putting out this call for Meetup members and will begin having Meetups with this group after we get a good number of people members. It may take a few months to do that. Many people join Meetup groups, but only a few participate in particular Meetups.
We can plan local trips (Country Doctor’s Museum, Raleigh Flea Market, restaurants, etc.) or trips further away. This will be a great way for you to meet travel companions. We can share information about trips taken; experience new ethic foods; explore other cultures; share hot deals for travel opportunities; and find travel companions.
If you don’t travel a lot, still join us. The company you meet will be great. If you are new to travel, learn from those who have gone before you. Don't be afraid to travel. You don't have to travel alone. Travel with us. We will travel near and far. Check out our many events as they are scheduled.
If you do not qualify for membership because you are not yet aged 50, know that you are still welcomed to join. It is important for you to know, though, that this group will focus on the travel of older adventurers.
We will have various Meet Up Events listed. You can host an event too. The more participation we have, the better this group will be.
I do plan an average of three big trips a year and I will be looking for friends to join me. I am not a travel agent but am a Group Leader. I have done this for years. Even if you do not want to travel with me – consider joining this group. The purpose of this group is for everyone to have fun. I understand that everybody cannot travel with me.
I pay to support the operation of this Meetup group so please accept the little “advertising” of my trips that I do. I will not charge anyone to join this group. I have experience running two Meetups in the DC area so this will be easy for me to do. Thank You Marsha Davis (Organizer)
I am happy to have everyone join the group. The experiences within the group will be enriched by full participation by many. However, the Organizer reserves the right to drop individuals from the group for lack of participation, inappropriate behavior, and actions not in the best interests of the group. That decision will be made by the Organizer. Additionally, new members must abide by the Cost of Becoming a Member, Photo, Limitations on Use of Member Contact Information, Liability Waiver and Guidelines for Hosts policies and all subsequent future policies to be described on this page.
Cost of Becoming a Member
There is no set fee for membership in this Meetup group. The Organizer pays the required semi-annual Meetup dues to maintain the site and do the work to provide a variety of activities for the enjoyment of everybody. The Organizer will plan and execute the details of group events as best as can be done. However, some circumstances may develop that are beyond her control. Good members will appreciate those efforts with understanding when circumstances beyond control arise.
The Organizer will try to list events that do not require her to collect money. Meetup Events will be presented that may require a fee for attendance. Members will be directed to pay those fees to third parties offering the travel/tour opportunity. (See further information in Guidelines for Event Hosts.)
For consistency, new members failing to submit a photo of himself or herself may be sent the following message:
“We are happy that you have joined our travel group. In order to continue to be a part of this group, it is mandatory that you upload a current profile photo of yourself so that all members of this group can see who will be joining them on these events (in all fairness to the other members who have uploaded their photos). Please do so within the next two days, otherwise, we will have no choice but to disallow your membership.”
Photos of pets and cute animals, cartoons, beautiful landscapes, flowers, etc. are not acceptable photographs. Photos prior to an event really do help when groups gather to verify that those who have indicated the desire to participate in an event have shown up.
The Organizer may disallow membership at any time even without the said notification outlined in the first paragraph of this section. If you are dropped for violation of the photo policy and subsequently are able to provide an acceptable photo, you may apply for membership again. Please understand that tracking compliance with this photo policy can become a time consuming administrative task. If you are dropped for violating this policy, it should not be taken personally. It is only fair that everybody comply equally.
Limitations on Use of Member Contact Information
This group is not made available by the Organizer for others to use for promoting interests outside this group.
The main purpose of this Meetup group is to bring people together who have a passion for participating in fun activities and travel; for people to share their travel/fun event stories; and develop deep friendships that might result participation in group events. The Organizer will offer travel opportunities for the group - both near and far. Members are may choose to participate in these trips or not.
This Meetup is not provided for professional travel agents and other travel professionals to solicit business among Members. Please refrain from using the Meetup and its members solely for solicitation. Professionals may participate in events, but must refrain from doing so just to “sell” products.
Guidelines for Event Hosts
The Organizer will be seeking the help of others to act as Hosts/Hostesses for upcoming Meetup events. Please volunteer if you think you can provide that service for the benefit of the group.
There may be times people will volunteer to host events. Such events must be submitted for review/approval of the Organizer. If you wish to host an event, please submit description of the event for review.
1) All events must be submitted to me and be approved by the Organizer before being posted by her.
2) The Organizer reserves the right to delete events deemed not appropriate. These include, but are not limited to:
-Unapproved Parties in private homes.
-High risk activities (e.g., rock climbing, boating).
-Advertisements posted by travel and other professionals masquerading as Meetups.
-Events promoting one’s personal business for personal gain.
-Events requiring members to pay any kind of money to Event Hosts. Some events may require a fee. Members may pay a fee to a third party. For example, member will buy food at a restaurant; member will buy ticket to an event; or member will pay deposit or tour fee to a professional tour company, as examples. (See Item 3 below.)
-Events cross posted from other Meetup groups by Event Hosts unless approved by Organizer of the other Meetup group and this Meetup group.
-Meetups that automatically repeat.
-Meetups with absentee Event Hosts or with none or vague info as to how to find the Event Host & group.
3) Meetup does not allow Event Hosts to collect money through Meetup. Furthermore, the Organizer prohibits offline payments to Event Hosts. Only the Organizer, on a very rare occasion, would be allowed to schedule events involving collection of money. This will be only on rare occasions and only when absolutely necessary to allow participation by all in the event. So far, the Organizer has not done this for her events. Any exchange of money by members, other than with the Organizer, is outside of the Friends Travel With Friends Meetup group and all risks are strictly assumed by the parties involved.
Hosts will be expected to answer questions posed by those interested in the event, to greet event attendees, as possible, and to make all attendees feel welcome to the event. Hosts must alert the Organizer of any concerns about the conduct of the Meetup event and its participants, especially the failure by any Member to abide by the conduct expected and outlined in the Liability Waiver section.
I am happy to have you join us on our Meetup events. By signing up for a Friends Travel With Friends event you are agreeing to not hold this Meetup group liable for results of participation in this group (see liability waiver below). You also will conduct yourself in a way that is mindful and considerate of the health, safety, and welfare of yourself and other participants in the “Friends Travel With Friends 50+ Wake and the World” Meetup group.
By joining this MEETUP GROUP you agree to the following statement:
I understand that during my participation in the Friends Travel With Friends 50+ Wake and Beyond MEETUP (Meetup Group), I may be exposed to a variety of hazards and risks, foreseen or unforeseen, which are inherent in each Outing and cannot be eliminated. These inherent risks include, but are not limited to, the dangers of serious personal injury, property damage, and death (“Injuries and Damages”) from exposure to the hazards of travel and the MEETUP GROUP has not tried to contradict or minimize my understanding of these risks. I know that Injuries and Damages can occur by natural causes or activities of other persons, animals, trip members, Organizer or third parties, either as a result of negligence or because of other reasons. I understand that risks of such Injuries and Damages are involved in a variety of this group's activities both indoor and outdoor, and I appreciate that I may have to exercise extra care for my own person and for others around me in the face of such hazards. I further understand that on Outings there may not be rescue or medical facilities or expertise necessary to deal with the Injuries and Damages to which I may be exposed.
In consideration for my acceptance as a participant on Outings, and the services and amenities to be provided by the MEETUP GROUP in connection with any Outing, I confirm my understanding that:
• I have read any rules and conditions applicable to the Outing made available to me; I will pay any costs and fees for the Outing; and I acknowledge my participation is at the discretion of the Organizer.
• I acknowledge that I have joined this group on my own free will and understand that membership is voluntary and expressly waive any and all such claims against each and every other member in the group, including without limitation any and all claims against the group organizer and event hosts.
• Any Outing officially begins and ends at the location(s) designated by the Group organizer. The Outing does not include carpooling, transportation, or transit to and from the Outing, and I am personally responsible for all risks associated with this travel.
• If I decide to leave early and not to complete the Outing as planned, I assume all risks inherent in my decision to leave and waive all liability against the MEETUP GROUP and its Organizer arising from that decision. Likewise, if the Organizer has concluded the Outing and I decide to go forward without the leader, I assume all risks inherent in my decision to go forward and waive all liability against the MEETUP GROUP and its Organizer arising from that decision.
• This Agreement is intended to be as broad and inclusive as is permitted by law. If any provision or any part of any provision of this Agreement is held to be invalid or legally unenforceable for any reason, the remainder of this Agreement shall not be affected thereby and shall remain valid and fully enforceable.
• To the fullest extent allowed by law, I agree to WAIVE, DISCHARGE CLAIMS, AND RELEASE FROM LIABILITY this MEETUP GROUP, its Organizer, agents, and leaders from any and all liability on account of, or in any way resulting from Injuries and Damages, even if caused by negligence of the MEETUP GROUP, its Organizer, officers,, agents, and leaders, in any way connected with any Outing. I further agree to HOLD HARMLESS the MEETUP GROUP, its Organizes, agents, and leaders from any claims, damages, injuries or losses caused by my own negligence while a participant on the outing. I understand and intend that this assumption of risk and release is binding upon my heirs, executors, administrators and assigns, and includes any minors accompanying me on the Outing.
• I have read this document in its entirety and I freely and voluntarily assume all risks of such Injuries and damages associated with participating in the events offered by this group.