Are you ready to make a difference in 2019? Join the GP Team in the Caribbean this spring on an all-expense-paid adventure of a lifetime - to volunteer to build with the GP Team in Barbuda!
In September 2017, Barbuda was obliterated by the effects of Hurricane Irma. Garden Pool was there with boots on the ground to lend a hand as a part of the international disaster response. We learned we could have a major impact and that there is more work to be done.
By volunteering with us in Barbuda, you will have the opportunity to improve the lives of people in an entire country!
Sat, March 2
• Night 1 - We will fly from Phoenix to Miami together.
Sun, March 3
• Day 1 - In the morning, will fly from Miami to Antigua together. Dennis will meet everyone at the airport in Antigua, where we will all meet up and travel together to our hotel in Antigua for the night.
• Night 2 - We will have a group dinner in the charming city of St. Johns.
Mon, March 4
• Day 2 - After breakfast, lunch, and sightseeing in St. Johns, we will travel to Barbuda in the afternoon via ferry boat, where we will transport supplies and get settled into our base for the following week. Afterwards, we will take a driving tour of the country of Barbuda to take in the sea, sand, and sun, and see the country’s beautiful natural ecosystems and culture!
• Night 3 - Begin classwork in the evening after dinner at a local restaurant.
Tues, March 5
• Day 3 - We’ll start the day off with a typical Barbudan breakfast, and then will begin building the first chicken hatchery system in the entire country of Antigua & Barbuda! Lunch will be provided on site.
• Night 4 - We will have a delicious seafood dinner to celebrate a productive day, and then continue classwork in the evening.
Wed, March 6
• Day 4 - We will begin the day by eating breakfast. Afterwards, based on the need, we will either return to the worksite to complete the hatchery, or we will travel to the Sir McChesney George Secondary School where we will work on a Climate Smart Farm. Lunch will be provided on-site.
• Night 5 - For dinner, we will travel to the beach for a scenic picnic and a chance to relax along Barbuda’s beautiful coastline!
Thurs, March 7
• Day 5 - After breakfast, we will work on the Climate Smart Farm at the Sir McChesney George Secondary School. Our objective is to have the Farm fully-functional by the end of our work day! Lunch will be provided on-site.
• Night 6 - In the evening, we will eat dinner, and then volunteers will have the opportunity to go fishing, exploring, or go enjoy the local nightlife!
Fri, March 8
• Day 6 - Day at the beach! We can choose from a large range of exciting activities and sights, like pink or white sand beaches, big surf or smooth surf, and sea caves!
• Night 7 - On our last night in Barbuda, we will celebrate our hard work by having dinner at our favorite restaurant. We will finish up the night by packing up and getting rest.
Sat, March 9
• Day 7 - We will begin the day with breakfast before heading back to the ferry to Antigua, where we will bring the remainder of our equipment. Back in St. Johns, we will have many lunch options to choose from before we go sightseeing around the city!
• Night 8 - In the evening, groups will have the opportunity eat dinner and enjoy the nightlife of St. Johns while soaking in the beautiful scenery and culture of Antigua.
Sun, March 10
• Day 8 - Fly back to Phoenix, AZ.
*You must RSVP by February 1, 2019 for current rates.*
Discounts are available for current or past GP Interns, GP Designer alumni, and Couples.
If you have any questions or would like to donate to our cause, please call Garden Pool at[masked] (ext. 103).
Interested in going? Come to our informational meeting on Saturday, Jan. 5, 2019 from 2-3 pm! Click the link to RSVP!