Don’t let a lack of sunlight end your midweek hiking routine — join us for our monthly Tuesday Night Hikes series! At least one night a month from December through March and usually on a Tuesday, we’ll don our headlamps and explore a local trail — a trail you may know by the light of day, but will grow to appreciate in a new light when there is no light.
The hikes are generally 3-4 miles long, start at 7 and run for an hour and a half or so. We'll do seven hikes in the series, including four on the Mountains-to-Sea Trail at Falls Lake and one on New Year's Eve! Here's a rundown of our hikes:
* November 19 Bike & Bridle Trail, Umstead State Park, 4.5 miles. Raleigh.
* December 17 Mountains-to-Sea Trail, Dayhike Section G, 4.2 miles. Raleigh.
* December 31 Mountains-to-Sea Trail, Dayhike Section H, 6.2 miles. Raleigh. .
* January 10 (Friday) Mountains-to-Sea Trail, Dayhike Section P, 5.2 miles. Raleigh. l
* January 21 Mountains-to-Sea Trail, Dayhike Section D, 3.6 miles. Raleigh.
* February 11 Johnston Mill Nature Preserve, 3 miles. Chapel Hill.
* March 3 Brumley North Nature Preserve, 3 miles. Hillsborough.
The series includes:
* Seven hikes
* Hot beverage at the end of every hike
* Your very own GetHiking! mug for savoring the aforementioned hot beverage
* Hiking at Night primer with tips on hiking after dark
* A guide to our 10 favorite night-hike destinations and what makes them especially good in the dark
* Loaner headlamp, if you need one
One membership to the Triangle Land Conservancy will be offered at both the Johnson Mill Nature Preserve and Brumley North Nature Preserve hikes
Cost for the series: $85. Not sure you can commit to the full series? Every Monday before a Tuesday Night Hike, if we know we'll have openings (each hike is limited to 12 hikers), we will open up empty slots for $15 per spot. We will post those openings on GetHiking! Triangle Meetup.