What we're about
Upcoming events (1)
Link visible for attendees
2022 Dates & Details
The 2022 Virtual Hackathon is scheduled for Wednesday November 16th - Saturday November 19th.
Interested in supporting our event. Please consider a sponsorship for our Hackathon 2022.
## GDI HACKATHON INFORMATION
What's a hackathon?
Never attended a hackathon before...but always been a little curious? This is the hackathon for you!
Traditionally, a hackathon is an event in which programmers, graphic designers, content strategists, interface designers, project managers, subject matter experts and more collaborate intensively on projects for a dedicated amount of time.
What's different about a GDI hackathon?
If you’ve ever been to a GDI class or event, you know that we prioritize a few important values. Our values are embedded in all we do, so this hackathon is no different! What you can expect: a friendly, welcoming and inclusive environment that is supportive, values all questions and is judgment-free! We welcome beginners of all levels and seek to make this event as accessible as possible. Here’s how:
• We want beginners! It's hard when you're first starting in tech. There's so much to learn, everyone seems to know what they're doing, and no one has time for your questions, right? Not here, this hackathon is all about giving beginners a way to level up their skills and their confidence.
This event occurs over two weeks and is designed to engage both women and non-binary adults who are new to coding and those who have been at it for years.
Why should I join?
- Meet new people! Hackathons are one of the best ways to meet new people and build meaningful relationships with them that will last beyond a weekend.
- You'll be learning, and so will everyone else! This is a chance to try out a hackathon with beginners like you and where everyone is working on exciting projects with support from mentors.
- The community is irreplaceable. You'll meet a bunch of attendees who are interested in your success. The GDI community is truly inclusive and supportive of all its members.
- Level up your skills. Hackathons are a great way to challenge yourself to build something with constraints.
## FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is a hackathon?
A hackathon is an event in which programmers, graphic designers, content strategists, interface designers, and project managers collaborate intensively on projects.
Or as we like to call it: an event where people work together to find new (sometimes inelegant) solutions to a problem.
Who should attend?
If you’ve ever taken a GDI class, dove into an online tech tutorial, or any other coding class or event this is a great opportunity to take the skills you’ve learned and apply them to a collaborative project working with like-minded individuals.
Even if you haven’t attended any of these events or participated in these groups, you’re still totally welcome! Beginners and the tech-curious are especially encouraged to attend, as are experienced technologists who are interested in sharing their knowledge and skills while working on projects that they are passionate about.
Can I propose a project to work on?
Absolutely! Any participant can propose a project idea for a team to work on prior to the event.
Is there a code of conduct?
Yes, all participants must abide by the Girl Develop It Code of Conduct.
I can’t make the whole event. Can I still join?
Yes! If you can only make one day and want to come, you should definitely come and add to the project as much as you can.
Do I need to work all night to participate in a hackathon?
No! This GDI Virtual Hackathon is spread out over a few weeks and gives you time to learn, build and connect. Our non-competitive environment encourages you to work when you are available.
Can my company get involved as a Sponsor?
Our work depends on our amazing sponsors and partners. Here is our sponsorship packet with more details about sponsorship levels & benefits. We are also looking for prize donations! So please email us at [masked] if you are interested in donating a product or service.
Click Register to sign up today for our Hackathon, and stay tuned for our emails regarding pre-Hackathon events and opportunities!