This class is held in three sessions:
• November 6, 11am-4pm
• November 13, 11am-4pm
• November 20, 11am-4pm
All three sessions are included in the $96 class fee. Please plan on attending all 3 weeks of the class.
In this class we'll cover:
• Variables, including scope, local variables, global variables, and the this keyword. This is a review and a deeper dive into variables than we covered in intro to JS.
• Arrays, including map and filter functions. Again, this is a review and then a deeper dive than covered in intro to JS.
• Functions, including closures, passing functions as arguments, returning functions. A review of what we know already, then a deeper look at functions.
• Objects, including different ways to create objects, the difference between arrays and objects, the built-in objects and the global object. A review of what we learned in intro to JS, then a deeper look at objects.
• Advanced DOM Manipulation, including event delegation and making use the command line and developer tools
• Ajax and JSON - including how to make asynchronous calls, parse JSON responses, and update the UI
Teacher: Natalie MacLees
What to bring
Please bring a laptop* and charger to class. Power outlets and wifi will be provided. You may also wish to bring a notepad and pen/pencil for taking notes.
We'll be using a modern web browser and a text editor in class. If you don't already have these installed, please install them before you come to class.
For web browsers, we recommend Mozilla Firefox (http://firefox.com/) or Google Chrome (http://google.com/chrome). For a text editor, we recommend Sublime Text 2 (http://www.sublimetext.com/2). Note that you do not have to purchase Sublime Text 2. If you download the free evaluation version that will be good enough for class.
* No laptop? We have a limited number of laptops we can loan to students during class. Please fill out our Laptop Request form (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1-HHF9IB2VlYVRivz5Zn7LwkjQAYkJLZsuW0YM4hh60U/viewform) to let us know you need to borrow one!
If you are unable to pay for this class please fill out our Scholarship Form (https://goo.gl/forms/ChgjqHSfvP2ILQJX2) or email losangeles [at] girldevelopit dot com.
Did you know you can earn free classes by participating as a Teaching Assistant?Every hour you spend volunteering as a TA earns you a free hour of class time! Get more details and sign up to be a TA at our Get Involved page (http://gdila.org/get-involved/).
We're here to help! If you have any questions or anything you'd like to discuss before signing up for class, please contact us at losangeles [at] girldevelopit dot com.
This workshop is hosted and sponsored by Codesmith.
About Natalie MacLees
Natalie MacLees is a front-end web developer and UI designer and is founder + principal of the interactive agency, Purple Pen Productions (http://purplepen.com/). She is the author of jQuery for Designers (http://jqueryfordesignersbook.com/), now in its second edition. She also has a jQuery podcast - Designers Learning jQuery (http://designerslearningjquery.com/).
She was the lead organizer for WordCamp Los Angeles 2014 (http://2014.la.wordcamp.org/) and 2013 (http://2013.la.wordcamp.org/) and founded and organized the first two Website Weekend LA (http://websiteweekend.la/) hackathons. She's also the co-founder of the Los Angeles chapter of Girl Develop It (http://girldevelopit.com/chapters/los-angeles), bringing affordable and accessible coding classes to the community. She makes her online home at nataliemac.com (http://nataliemac.com/).
All attendees are expected to abide by the Girl Develop It Code of Conduct (http://www.girldevelopit.com/codeofconduct).