Location visible to members
Want to learn how to code, but not sure where to start? If you are a complete beginner to coding or want to learn how to communicate better with your technical team and friends, this workshop is for you. This class is also great for UX professionals, project managers, small business owners, designers, and anyone who wants to understand how the web works.
In this class, we will walk through the fundamentals of web development in layman terms. We won't be writing code, but we'll take you through various components of the web and how they work together. Topics include, but are not limited to:
• What is a web stack?
• What is the difference between a client and a server?
• Which programming languages are compiled on a server and which are compiled in a web browser?
• What do you need to know before building a web site?
• What language should you use and what are the differences?
• What tools do you need to develop a web site?
• Who does what on a typical web development team? What's the difference between a web developer and a web designer?
There are no prerequisites for this class; it's for beginners with little to no technical experience.
What to bring
Please bring a laptop* and charger to class. Power outlets and wifi will be provided. You may also wish to bring a notepad and pen/pencil for taking notes.
* No laptop? We have a limited number of laptops we can loan to students during class. Please fill out our Laptop Request form (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1-HHF9IB2VlYVRivz5Zn7LwkjQAYkJLZsuW0YM4hh60U/viewform) to let us know you need to borrow one!
If you can no longer attend the class you signed up and paid for, your payment will be donated to the local chapter scholarship fund. You can help another woman in need!
We're here to help! If you have any questions or anything you'd like to discuss before signing up for class, please contact us at losangeles [at] girldevelopit dot com.
About the Teacher: Liz Krane
Liz Krane (https://twitter.com/LearningNerd) is a freelance web developer and founder of Learn to Code LA (http://www.meetup.com/LearnToCodeLA/), another meetup group for anyone who wants to learn about computer science and programming. Previously a community manager for Hackaday and research assistant at USC Annenberg, Liz is a professional dabbler who dreams of learning something about everything.
There's street parking nearby and a parking garage on 2nd St right next to Opodz (http://www.opodz.com/). See this parking map for street parking info: http://bit.ly/1iu6i8p
Big thanks to our sponsor Opodz (http://www.opodz.com/) coworking space for hosting us!
All attendees are expected to abide by the Girl Develop It Code of Conduct (http://www.girldevelopit.com/codeofconduct). Our events are women-inclusive, not women-exclusive. Anyone is welcome to attend our events and classes as long as they abide by the code of conduct.