Are you interested in becoming a better designer? The first step is expanding your knowledge of one of the most fundamental elements of web design: typography.
A strong grasp of typography is an essential skill for a web designer because 95% of the information on the web is written language. (http://informationarchitects.net/blog/the-web-is-all-about-typography-period/)
While mastering typography can take a lifetime, this class will provide techniques and guidelines to help you create beautiful, readable typography.
In this one-night workshop, you'll get an overview of web typography with a focus on:
• Understanding typography fundamentals for improved readability
• Evaluating and choosing typefaces that convey the tone of our content appropriately
• Typographic planning: how to select appropriate typefaces for a project? What's the best place to start? How can we pair typefaces?
• What's a type system and how is it created?
• Working with web fonts, taking consideration how to select web fonts for various devices (desktop, mobile, tablet) and browsers
The class will include half-lecture and half hands-on exercises where you will apply some of the lessons learned.
Previous design experience is not needed. A laptop is required to take this class.
About the teacher:
Yesenia Perez-Cruz is a multidisciplinary designer that has spent the last three years creating beautiful, functional design systems at Happy Cog. She received a BS in Graphic Design at Drexel University. She has spoken about design at AIGA Philadelphia and SXSW Interactive. You can follow her on Twitter (https://twitter.com/yeseniaa) for more!