Join us for a free workshop that will help you get started and involved in the open source community! We will be kicking off GDI Philly's Summer of Open Source with our friends from Code for Philly (http://www.meetup.com/Code-for-America-Philly/events/181562992/), so come find out more information on how to get involved.
About the Workshop
Workshop: This session will provide an introduction to open source & walk you through getting started on GitHub. If you've ever had a question about when and how to use it, or how to join an open source project - this is the workshop for you!
Some of the things we'll cover:
• What is open source? What is the open source "philosophy?" Open source licenses and licensing (what are they and what do they mean).
• Overview of tools project built as open source - you're probably already using or have heard of at least one.
• Brief introduction to Git / Github (http://www.meetup.com/Girl-Develop-It-Philadelphia/events/158558102/), and other tools used to make open source stuff.
• Creating a GitHub account, getting familiar and ready to get started contributing.
• 5 ways that you can participate in an open source project right now (even if you're not a seasoned coder).
Joining a project: Know enough about open source, have a GitHub account and ready to get started contributing to a project? In a separate area from the workshop, Code for Philly (http://www.meetup.com/Code-for-America-Philly/events/181562992/) & others who are already working on open source projects will be there to share information on the projects and help get you involved.
About GDI Philly's Summer of Open Source
Last year, GDI Philly sent out a survey to our members. We asked questions about courses, what students are learning, what their careers are like and whether they’ve ever contributed to open source projects. To our delight and surprise, we learned that 10% of members surveyed had contributed to free and open source software in some way.
This number stood out, as the number of women in open source projects is depressingly small - less than 2% of open source contributors identify as women. Since we seemed to be helping improve the numbers locally, we decided to make a more sustained and conscious effort to get ever more GDI Philly women contributing to open source. And voila! - the GDI Philly Summer of Open Source was born!
Learn more and apply to be a fellow here. (http://www.meetup.com/Girl-Develop-It-Philadelphia/messages/boards/thread/44163122)
This event is co-hosted by Code for Philly. Future Summer of Open Source workshops will include more joint events.
All Girl Develop It events follow a Code of Conduct (http://girldevelopit.com/codeofconduct).
Thanks to City Coho for hosting us.