addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Glasgow Brights Meetup Group Message Board › 'Games' for Brights > "Pass the anti-torture baton"

'Games' for Brights > "Pass the anti-torture baton"

Billy R.
user 6758360
Glasgow, GB
Can I ask all GBrights to consider help 'weave a basket of hope' for this innocent 'babe'? Thanks. . . . . .
Dear Billy.
On 27 November 2005, aged 16, Moses was arrested by the Nigerian army. He says they shot him in the hand, beat him on the head and back, then charged him with stealing mobile phones. Later he was transferred to Epkan police station in Delta State where the torture continued. ‘The pain I went through at the hands of the officers was unimaginable,’ he said of his ordeal. To get him to confess, the police beat Moses with machetes and batons, bound and hung him up for hours in the interrogation room. Then they produced the pliers. Moses’s subsequent ‘confession’, along with the victim’s statement, formed the basis of his conviction. After eight years in prison he was sentenced to death.
His claims of torture have never been investigated. Protect Moses from execution and ensure his torturers are held to account Moses’s story is not an unusual one in Nigeria. Even though the country’s constitution – and international law - prohibits it, we receive regular reports of police using torture on suspects to extract information which is later used against them in court. The Commonwealth Games begin in Glasgow this week and Nigeria, along with other countries that still use torture, will be in attendance. By taking action now we have an opportunity to save Moses's life and hammer home the message to Nigeria and the rest of the world: that torture is illegal, barbaric and never justified.
Protect Moses from execution and ensure his torturers are held to account In response to the support he has already received from people like you, Moses told us: ‘I didn't know that people still have such great love towards their fellow human beings’. He says if he gets out of prison: "I promise to work for the emancipation of torture victims and death row inmates, suffering the same injustice done to me." You’ve helped restore Moses’s faith in humanity, now ensure he can turn his dreams for the future into reality.
Thank you,
Tom Davies. Stop Torture Campaign Manager