addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
A former member
Post #: 1
I have observed, with great interest, this meetup group and am so excited I joined. I appreciate all the ideas and enthusiasm about bees, chickens and so on, but at some point, city codes are going to impede these developments no matter how much we may want them.

What about a development dedicated to Urban Homesteading, where gray water, solar, wind, community gardens, chickens, bees, were allowed within a new city code. I am thinking about all the foreclosures in my neighborhood in Denver. Could my neighborhood be rehabilitated into a new, sustainable neighborhood, instead of a bunch of empty houses?

You can literally buy a house here for $49,000!!

Just a thought--pipe dream--utopia
Jim P.
AdventureJim
Lafayette, CO
Post #: 3
Wow! Great idea!

I think that this should be the future of urban development..though it will be an uphill battle against the established codes and thought processes that are currently in place.

The Earthship Biotechture folks have a planned community down near Taos called the Greater World Earthship Community that is trying to do just that.

I think it could be a good model to start conversation with the powers that be. We need to have more communities having less impact on the earth around them while interfacing more with the earth, food and energy systems of our homes.

I like your pipe dream =)

Jim
Everett S.
user 3883092
Denver, CO
Post #: 36
Hello Susan,

There are several members of our group who are already going about the process of having laws changed to make certain livestock-related urban homesteading activities easier to achieve. Our groups are a good place to get other like-minded folks together and organized around specific projects. If you'd like to tackle something like Greywater, a good place to start would be collecting email addresses from the main message board of those who would be interested in helping out.

I live outside of Denver (Englewood in Arapaho County) so I try to stay out of the Denver law stuff - but I know others are gung-ho and really making a difference.

Good luck!