Ever found that the most value you got from an event was the 10 minute chat in the queue for refreshments with another data scientist solving a weirdly similar problem to you? Are you interested in discussing the challenges of applying and managing data science in real organisations, rather than listening to tech talks? We’ve cut to the chase and put those insightful conversations with peers at the heart of our meetup. In fact, there’s no formal content at all! Just several “topic tables” allowing for discussion and collaboration around a pre-defined theme.
All members of our group can apply to be a “table host” and the lucky few will get to air what’s been bugging/fascinating them to the peers that have joined their table. Curious how other folks get their labelled data sets? Feeling like you just can’t quite get your recruitment right? Want to share a solution you discovered recently that you feel like everyone should know? Want to get your gripes about the media obsession with AI off your chest? This is the place!
The rules of the game
• Since this meetup is focussed on sharing experience with peers, it’s aimed at anyone who works/has worked as a data scientist in a professional capacity. If you’re looking to move into data science, these aren’t really the issues you should be focussing on right now – but there’s tons of other meetups that can help you upskill, you lucky things! :D
• No powerpoint allowed! You should be able to convey your problem verbally (ok you can doodle on the back of an envelope too) at an appropriate level so that your peers hearing it for the first time can meaningfully engage.
• Each event will have a limited capacity to enable attendees to have in-depth conversations.
• All tables will also have one of our hosts to moderate and ensure everyone gets chance to contribute.
• This is an inclusive community and by signing up you agree to abide by our Code of Conduct (see below).
This is an inclusive environment and we encourage data scientists from all industries to attend.
Code of conduct:
The Grow the Graph Group is dedicated to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, political affiliation, race, or religion. We do not tolerate harassment of meetup participants in any form. Sexual language and imagery is not appropriate for any meetup venue. Meetup participants (including delegates/attendees, speakers, volunteers, and guests) violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the event and/or meet-up group at the discretion of the Grow the Graph Meetup organizers.
If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact a meet-up / event organizer immediately.
This group was formed by the Data Science team at Panaseer. We found that existing meet-ups for data scientist mainly focused on learning new techniques and attracted many attendees looking to get started in data science but we felt like there was a lack of events that attracted experienced data scientist with whom to trade war stories and helpful advice. With this group we hope to bridge that gap.