Yes! It’s that time again! While forest animals starts to hibernate, city animals comes out to play! Celebrate fall by getting a dose of nature. Join us outdoor junkies on a 5 mile loop at beautiful Minnewaska State Park Preserve. We’ll walk on our normal pace and enjoy the scenery Minnewaska have to offer. Don’t worry, we’ll take several breaks to take pictures, eat, chat, sing, etc.
Meeting point: Lake Awosting Parking Area
Difficulty: 5-6 out of 10
Highlights: Gorgeous lake, swimming beach, multiple views, overlook
Distance: 5 miles, loop
Approximate roundtrip time: 4-5 hours
Total ascent: 814 ft
Max Elevation: 1,908 ft above sea level
DOWNLOAD YOUR TRAILMAP: https://parks.ny.gov/parks/attachments/MinnewaskaMinnewaskaStateParkTrailMap.pdf
WHAT TO WEAR: You don't need to buy a new wardrobe before you hit the trail, but you'll need a few basics to stay safe and comfortable. While you don't need the most expensive gear, avoid cotton: it's a poor insulator when wet, making you feel colder and increasing your risk of hypothermia. Look for synthetic or wool materials instead. It could feel cold when you’re at still and feel hot when you hike so make sure to layer up. Footwear depends on trial condition. I always suggest hiking boots for more protection but a good pair of sneakers will do. Bring extra shirt and socks.
WHAT TO BRING:
• A fun/positive attitude
• At least 2 liters of water
• Lunch and snacks
• Hat and sun glasses
• Lip balm with SPF
• Camera (DSLR, Point-n-Shot, Camera Phone, or even disposable camera LOL)
• Extra socks and Shirts
• Bug/tick Repellent
• Hiking Poles (OPTIONAL: )
• Headlamp, mirror, matches, first aid kit, whistle, and pain reliever (OPTIONAL: Just in case of emergency)
This is definitely a beginner hike. The carriage trails are wide, well maintained and mostly flat. There will be section where the trail will be rocky and hilly for at least 2 miles but it's not difficult. I know you can do it. :) Plus that's the fun portion of our hike.
Minnewaska State Park
5281 Route 44-55
Kerhonkson, NY 12446
Hours 8:00am – 8:00pm
FEE: Parking is $10
Directions to the trailhead: From New Paltz, head west on Route 299. Follow 299 until it dead ends into Rt. 44/55, where you’ll make a right turn. Follow 44/55 past the hairpin turn under the Shawangunk cliffs and past the Trapps parking area on your right. Continue another 3 miles past the Trapps parking area to find the well-marked entrance to Minnewaska State Park Preserve on your left. Stop at the guard shack, pay the fee, then turn left on the first street to climb all the way up to Minnewaska lake parking lot.
You can also get directions by checking out the Minnewaska State Park Preserve entry on the HiketheHudsonValley.com.
Text or call me for any questions at [masked] or message me here on Meetup
• Remember it is up to you to take the initiative to find your own rides. Post a comment below if you're a passenger that needs a ride. Same goes to the people that have space in their car that would be able to offer a ride.
• Please be patient if you don't get a response right away. This is New York…everyone is "busy" LOL. Constantly check wall posts for people that are offering a car ride. You can contact the drivers via their profile page or if you know them personally text or call them. Please be considerate of people's time and effort. Let the drive/passenger know at least 24 hours ahead of time if you can't make the trip.
THIS EVENT WILL BE CANCELED IF THE FORECAST AT MINNEWASKA STATE PARK IS 30% - 100% CHANCE OF RAIN.
Hope to see you out on the trail! And please follow me on Instagram @ Blasian_Hiker
Participation in activities is strictly voluntary and group members assume all risks in connection with activities; per Meetup.com's Terms of Service Agreements, organizers and hike/trip leaders are released from any and all forms of liability related to events.