>>>>>>>> DementiaHack, Sep 12-14 <<<<<<<<
HN and the British Consulate-General Toronto (https://www.gov.uk/government/world-location-news/toronto-hackathon-to-target-dementia-challenges-with-innovative-ideas) are running DementiaHack (http://hckrn.st/DementiaHack), an international (UK + Canada) hackathon focused on improving the lives of people with dementia and their caregivers. This isn't just to "raise awareness"; the UK government is serious about developing and commercializing prototypes that emerge from DementiaHack. In addition to garnering invaluable support and connectivity, winners are being flown around the UK/Canada on a roadshow to demo their projects to major corporations and medical conferences. Space is super limited, so sign up now at http://HckrN.st/DementiaHack (http://hckrn.st/DementiaHack)
Drinks on us. HackerNest Tech Socials (http://hackernest.com/cities/) are a fun, relaxed way to connect with your local tech brethren. Atmosphere: chill, friendly, unpretentious, agenda-free (no sales pitch, yo), and brimming with UltraSmart(TM) people.
Follow us on Twitter (http://srn.kr/HNtweets), like us on Facebook (http://srn.kr/HNTOfb), hi-5 us in person. :)
Rough lineup (pretty much always in development)
8pm - quick intro
9pm - sponsor appreciation & love & announcements
9:15pm - Epic DementiaHack Team Matching!
11:30pm - close
Epic DementiaHack Team Matching Format:
1. pitchers fill out idea/name/email on our spreadsheet, get numbers assigned
2. 1 minute pitches (IMPORTANT: disrespectful people who talk during these will be booted - remember our strict no-douchebag policy)
3. line up against the wall (in numerical order)
4. brief recap, then folks looking for teams connect with pitchers
Folks. Do this. You could help millions. And make millions doing so. Go: http://HckrN.st/DementiaHack (http://hckrn.st/DementiaHack)
- There is no news, only Zuul (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg7MAacSPNM). I mean, only DementiaHack. Just kidding, there's always news.
- HackerNest has a BRAND NEW LOGO. The "N" is now red and more distinguishable so people stop calling us "HackersFest" and "HackerBest" and "Petunia":
...innovation at its finest!
- Teach tech stuff? Post your complete, legit, well-put-together* upcoming tech workshop/class on http://Learn.HackerNest.com (http://learn.hackernest.com/) by 4pm Monday & we'll give you 60 seconds to announce it to our huge audience! We're not business-y, but that sounds like ca$hmoney to us. Do it!
- We always need HackerNestimonials (firstname.lastname@example.org), volunteers (http://hackernest.com/volunteer), donations (http://hackernest.com/donate), and sponsors (email@example.com) - please give back to the community. Remember: You are HackerNest. So every story we get from you helps us tell our story, which helps us convince sponsors to help keep HackerNest alive.
*Note: Subject to approval. No lame copy pasta!
UPCOMING EVENTS! FRIENDS! PARTNERS! ETCETERA!
- We Are Wearables (http://www.meetup.com/Wearable-Wednesday-Toronto/events/199119852/) - wearing technology things that are wearable and talking about them - Aug 27 @ MaRS
- Girls In Tech Toronto Power Hour Social (http://www.eventbrite.ca/e/girls-in-tech-toronto-power-hour-social-tickets-12683283041) - event series featuring inspirational stories from women in tech - this one has talks from ScholarLab and OMX - Sep 9 @ Wattpad
- Accessibility Camp Toronto (http://www.accessibilitycampto.org/) - event focused on digital accessibility for users with different disabilities - Sep 27 @ OCAD University
- WEST: Wearable Entertainment & Sports Toronto (https://www.eventbrite.com/e/west-wearable-entertainment-sports-toronto-tickets-12429822935?discount=HACKERNEST2014) - 1-day conference with self-explanatory subject matter! Oct 21 @ 99 Sudbury, use "HACKERNEST2014" for an early bird discount!
Alright folks. You know what to do. Grab a friend, show up, make new friends. Life is simple.
the HackerNest Nerdatrons
Sponsors (http://hackernest.com/sponsor_info/) make all this possible - some are hiring, some are selling, and that's totally cool with us because they're also supporting. We're always looking for new friends (https://firstname.lastname@example.org)!
Platinum Sponsor and Official Hosting Platform:
Linode (http://linode.com): SSD Cloud Hosting for everyone!
Sightline Innovation (http://www.sightlineinnovation.com/): machine learning solutions for the Internet-of-things era
Project: OWL (http://projectspac.es/owl) - Polished, agency vibe.
Wanna show off your office? We're always looking for big open spaces with 200+ (standing room) capacity that are easily accessible.
HackerNest (http://hackernest.com/) is an international nonprofit uniting local tech communities (http://hackernest.com/cities/) through unpretentious Tech Socials (http://hackernest.com/cities/) and hackathons (http://hackernest.com/construct/). We cram lots of smart, accomplished people into a room with free drinks. Our relaxed, down-to-earth events attract a diverse and highly technical membership. Strict no-douchebag policy (http://hackernest.com/faqs/for-attendees/).
donations (http://hackernest.com/donate), and sponsors (email@example.com)
- please give back to the community.
Remember: You are HackerNest.
So every story we get from you helps us tell our story, which helps us convince sponsors to help keep HackerNes