addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Hacks/Hackers Chicago Message Board › It’s Time to Give a Hack

It’s Time to Give a Hack

A former member
Post #: 1
One of the great things about being the Chief Editor of Connected World magazine is getting to see all the great new apps, devices, and technologies that hit the market, sometimes even before they go public. It’s certainly an exciting time for this market, and to be able to see some of these great developments as they are coming to fruition is like keeping this great secret.

Part of our role here at Connected World is also to be a facilitator for such inspiring minds. Giving them a forum to develop and shine is something that has been, for the most part, lacking in the market. So when we decided this year to host three hackathons at the Connected World Conference, it felt like the perfect forum to launch these inspiring minds to do great things with machine-to-machine technologies.

For those not familiar with what a hackathon is, picture a room filled with coders and developers, burning the midnight oil, fueled by energy drinks and junk food, huddled around their computers trying to develop that next great device. Whenever we talk about hackathons that scene from the movie ‘The Social Network’ springs to mind where a bunch of students are huddled in a room coding for Mark Zuckerberg at a record pace, all trying to win a coveted spot to go with him to California to work on what would become perhaps the greatest social networking tool today. How true to form that scene actually can be is up for debate. But the point is that these types of things are happening all over the country, with some of the greatest minds hunkering down in front of the computer to do what they do best—code, and code at a monster pace!

But has something like this ever happened for creating a connected device? Not to the degree that we will be hosting, June 11-13 at the Connected World Conference. Are you one of the best of the best when it comes to coding? Can you develop a connected device that would blow some of what currently exists in the market out of the water? I urge you to come out and prove it.

In fact, I want to meet you at the conference. I want to learn all about your next big idea. But above all else I want you to put your “coding money,” if you will, where your mouth is and turn out a killer app. You will get the opportunity to code on three highly innovative platforms out there on the market today. ILS Technology, Exosite, and OSIsoft will all be leading their respective sessions over the course of the three days.

You will get three unique challenges: Getting to code on the Microsoft platform from OSIsoft or develop for SAP and Oracle using ILS Technology, or create an off-the-shelf Web-based dashboard using Exosite. Or be even more creative and just develop a mobile app.

This is all some pretty cutting-edge stuff, so be prepared. That is, of course, if you are up for the challenge. Check out some of the videos created by the companies on our Website, giving you a peak at what to expect when you code on their platform.

At the end I want you standing on stage, saying I told you so! I want you to get to the top of the mountain and develop that killer app. We are so confident that what you can do will impress us that we want to put your face on the cover of Connected World magazine. That’s right … we know our magazine is setting pace in the market for M2M and connected devices, and we want to put the future face or faces ( you can work in teams if you so choose) on the cover of our magazine, telling the world that you have that next big idea.

Space is limited, so I don’t want you to miss out on this chance. And I mean it when I say I want to meet you at the conference. Come seek me out, I will be the one watching from a far with a big smile on my face because I know we will have the very best of the best in app development in our presence over the course of three days. And we want to tell your story.