Hadoop-DC Message Board › Director for the Technical Architecture of Big Data consumer data at America
|A former member||
all interested candidates must apply via:
Director Technical Architecture-Big Data Platform-1211845
This position will provide the infrastructure architecture and engineering for the Amex Hadoop infrastructure environment. This includes cluster design and configuration, selection and configuration of hardware, software and tools, establishment of performance and capacity metrics, and performance monitoring and tuning.
The Big Data environment will include larger market data sets containing historical data over longer time periods and increased granularity that are required to feed predictive models, and forecasts. The environment will also contain large amounts of consumer data gathered across multiple service delivery channels such as Web, and mobile.
* Understanding emerging industry offerings in the big data domain and determining appropriate solutions that will add value and leadership to AXP Big Data capabilities.
* Partner with Amex solution delivery teams and Big Data Labs teams to understand strategies and requirements for Big Data platforms.
* Define the appropriate Big Data technical architecture and roadmap for Amex and partner with infrastructure delivery teams to implement.
* Define performance KPI’s of Big Data platform and ensure performance is optimal.
* Evaluate vendor offerings in the marketplace and recommend appropriate solutions for Amex and influence vendors to provide solutions to meet Amex needs.
* Run proof of concepts and prototypes leveraging big data technology to combine structured, semi-structured, and un-structured data for the purpose of validating technical and functional capabilities.
* Coordinate implementation of roadmap to deliver big data capabilities.
* Serves as an architectural steward for the application portfolio, providing technical direction and consulting expertise to support Big Data platform strategies and deliver value.
* Providing expertise to development teams working from various locations on application development processes, technical architecture, and systems integration. This expertise should also extend to providing detailed guidance at the application code level as required.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer.
* Expert level knowledge and experience in managing HPC/Hadoop clusters.
* Strong Linux experience.
* Experience in Hadoop programming (pig, hive, etc.).
* Strong experience in distributed performance tools.
* Previous experience and advanced knowledge in performance engineering in a extremely large scale implementation.
* First hand experience in data science practice and their corresponding activities on hadoop cluster.
* Experience in Java.
* Must be enthusiastic, self-motivated, a team player, comfort working in an evolving environment.
* Background in High Performance Computing is a plus.
* Prior technical leadership experience is a plus.
* Has the ability to work with business partners and articulate technical concepts and trends as well as design and implementation considerations.
* Must possess strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to influence cross functional teams, business partners and vendor partners, and technology leaders.
* Strategic thinker with analytical and problem solving skills.
* Solid technical skills in distributing computing and grid platforms, architecture, and infrastructure.
* Experience in defining and executing technology and portfolio strategies.
* Experience in managing vendor relationships to drive accountability and delivery.
* Strong collaboration skills and ability to partner with technology peers and business teams.
* Effective consultative skills across a multi-functional environment.
* Possesses knowledge about industry best-practices in emerging technology and support of solution delivery disciplines.
* Comfort working in an evolving and rapidly changing environment.
* Financial management experience.
* Holds a Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or other related field (or has equivalent work experience).