Want to camp in Yosemite? Or Tahoe? Or in wine country or on a beach?
We do too, but it has become impossible to find good campsites when you want them. They're booked up for 6 months in advance, or are in boring state campgrounds with way too many RVs and quiet hours. Or both. *Groan*
We created this group to make it easier to go camping, and to add a fun, social element to the camping experience. We all like to meet other fun-loving outdoorsy people.
Here's what we'll do in the group:
1) The organizers (Ken & Brian) will go out and find the camp spots. We have some tricks up our sleeves, some cool apps, some insider resources to beautiful land, and access to a ton of maps that reveal the best spots. [Did you know that to grab a good Yosemite valley campground spot, you have to be on your computer at 7am on *one* specific day, and then out-click thousands of other people?] That's bullshit, so we'll do the work to get the spots (we enjoy the research) . We will get you into Yosemite!
2) We will make sure our camping events are very social, like they should be. That's the 'Happy Hour' part of the group's name. We will have one big fire pit each evening for everyone to gather around and meet the other campers. Many nights we will prepare a Happy Hour cocktail for everyone before dinner. We'll also have music, fun camp lighting, and games for the campsite like bocee ball, cornhole, frisbee, and cards.
3) Our camp spot will be a Basecamp for your outdoor adventures. We will find locations that are near lots of activities for our daytime fun. These include activities such as hiking, biking, rock climbing, visiting swimming holes and waterfalls, rope swings into lakes, etc., as well as classic CA events you need to do, like visiting Sonoma wineries, floating down the Russian or Merced River, kayak rentals in Lake Sonoma, swimming in Lake Tahoe, and visiting Yosemite.
4) We will take care of a lot of the camping logistics. That can be the annoying part, but we enjoy it. For most events, we will provide dinner and breakfast, plus enough wood for the fire and water to fill your bottles. We'll also provide a list of activities you can do nearby. And help you with carpools. Both group organizers have done a ton of camping across the US, so we can also help you with anything else you need (like pitching a tent in the dark).
WHO SHOULD JOIN?
* You’re a nature fan and love escaping the city on the weekend to go hiking. You like tenting in nature! Most camping spots will be under 4 hours from SF, and 1-2 nights.
* You’re an extrovert and love meeting new people - this is important :) You like to have group meals and hang out by the fire together
*You love relaxing with a drink after a good day out in the sun
* You’re an explorer, and want to learn about new trails, viewpoints, and activities