Baker Botts has kindly offered to replace the Christmas Pitch with a seminar on the very important topics of Intellectual Property & Licensing. The more I get involved with start-ups, the more I realise that many start-ups - and indeed even fully-fledged SMEs - fail to recognise the importance of this vital topic.
Baker Botts’ Neil Coulson along with Alistair Russell, a European Patent Attorney from Hoffmann Eitle and Andrew Sant, an IP Consultant from White Light Consulting will discuss all aspects of IP protection, strategy and monetization. Topics covered will include:
· Key early considerations – ownership and confidentiality
· Developing a coherent IP protection strategy
· Using R&D tax credits to fund IP protection, availability of the patent box regime
· What to say about your IP to investors and what not to say
· When to patent inventions and how to get the best protection for the lowest spend
· Licensing strategies
· How best to enforce
· What do you do if you’re sued
In short, a hugely impressive line-up! Looking forward to seeing as many of you as possible at this our last meeting before Christmas. As always, proceedings will begin at 6.30 sharp - do please try to arrive before then.