On Saturday, November 16th, Coderetreats will be held in cities around the world for the 2019 Global Day of Coderetreat, uniting software developers in their quest for improvement. We are pleased to announce that we will be hosting a coderetreat for the first time in Crete!
A coderetreat is a day-long practice event, that has proven to be a highly effective means of skill improvement by focusing on the fundamentals of software development and design, away from the pressures of 'getting things done'.
Why you want to attend:
- Are you into software and looking for ways to improve your craft?
- You don’t get the chance to practice pairing or Test Driven Development (TDD)?
- Would you like to explore new languages or frameworks?
- Looking for how to find the time to deliberately practice coding?
- Would you like to work (play) with others who have similar interests and needs?
If you said yes to any of the above then 2019 GLOBAL Day of Coderetreat punches all of those buttons!
Write code, learn from others, teach someone else, and expand your network of friends who are passionate about their craft. This event is open to everybody and is suitable for junior and senior developers at the same time. There is no level of competence you need to have in order to attend.
- Length of every session: 45 minutes followed by a 15 minute retrospective and break
- Pair-programming is necessary, as the knowledge transfer contained in that activity is essential to the practice.
- Each session will come with new constraints. The purpose is to get outside of the comfort zone. That's where learning happens!
- Prefer using Test-Driven Development (TDD)
- After each session, pairs should be swapped
- After each session, code must be deleted, not put in a branch, not stashed, just deleted with no trace left
10:00 Arrival (Coffee/Tea/Water)
10:45 – 11:30 Session 1
11:30 – 11:40 Retro
11:45 – 12:30 Session 2
12:30 – 12:40 Retro
12:45 – 13:30 Session 3
13:30 – 13:40 Retro
13:45 – 15:00 Lunch
15:00 – 15:45 Session 4
15:45 – 15:55 Retro
16:00 – 16:45 Session 5
16:45 – 16:55 Retro
17:00 – 17:30 Closing Circle
What to bring:
All you need to bring is an insatiable desire to practice your software crafting skills (and preferably your laptop and power supply). This event itself will be language-agnostic. If you have a favourite set of development tools or a favourite test framework(s), make sure they're installed. In this repository https://github.com/swkBerlin/kata-bootstraps/ you can find empty projects for different languages with a failing test. You can prepare by setting the one(s) you choose before coming. Please leave a comment here if you need any help.
That said, no stack is ALSO OK: you can use Cyber-Dojo (https://cyber-dojo.org/). The challenge exercise will be Conway's Game of Life - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conway%27s_Game_of_Life
There will be food and beverages provided for free. If you have any special dietary needs and restrictions, please comment here.
We are grateful to our sponsor Jadu (https://www.jadu.net/) for enabling us to run a Coderetreat event, free of charge in Heraklion for The Global Day of Coderetreat. It’s a great opportunity to focus on the fundamentals of software development, design and collaborate with others working in the same industry.
Code of Conduct:
We borrow the Code of Conduct (CoC) from DevStaff-Heraklion, which can be read here https://github.com/devstaff-crete/DevStaff-Heraklion/blob/master/CodeOfConduct.md
If, during the event, you experience or witness unacceptable behaviour – or have any other concerns – please talk to the facilitator.
This year marks the 10th anniversary of Global Day of Coderetreat. Feel the magic of simultaneously working on the same problem with multiple crafters across the world. For more info, visit https://www.coderetreat.org