What are Discovery Hikes, how will I know they are for me?
- Would I like going on a hike that is not just following the leader?
- Would I like to practice reading maps better and finding the trails?
- Would I like to go on a hike with only a few people?
- Would I like to scout new places for the group?
- Do I mind going first?
- Would I like to share my opinion on whether this makes a good group hike, including how it could be improved or modified for a larger group event?
- Do I enjoy not knowing for sure what is around the next bend?
- Would I like looking for alternative parking options if the parking area is way too small?
- Am I fine with changes of plan and making group decisions on the fly?
- Am I in good shape so that I could back track when necessary?
- Would finding a trail closed just cause me to find another one and enjoy the rest of day?
If you answered yes to most or all of the above then join us on one these discovery hikes. Remember these hikes have either not been scouted or only partially scouted by the organizers. We will be checking out new areas for hiking and sharing knowledge and opinions on the hiking area for potential future larger group events.
To get the most out of these hikes you should check maps, books and online information before the event so that you are familiar with the area. Share and use what you discover by bringing the information with you to the hike.
If you are interested, look out for events that have Discovery Hike in the title and hike description. As a courtesy to all, remember that these hikes are very limited in size, so be sure you can definitely attend before saying yes.