300 Meyerland Plaza Mall, Houston, TX
On Saturday, January 7, 2017, join the Houston Sierra Club for a service outing on the Katy Prairie. We will get our hands “dirty” for 3-4 hours doing some nursery work with native grasses and wildflowers or some other fun activity at the Indian Grass Preserve of the Katy Prairie Conservancy (KPC). The morning should provide cool air with a sunny glow.
After we finish we will eat a pot luck lunch (so bring a dish) and enjoy birding, strolling, and relaxing on the Katy Prairie. Bring your daypack, water (at least two quarts), a pot luck lunch dish, hiking shoes, cameras, bug repellent, sunscreen, field guides, binoculars, and clothes to fit the weather. We should be back in Houston about 5 pm.
We will meet to carpool/caravan at 7:30 am in the parking lot just west of the Starbucks (look for Becks Prime) in Meyerland Plaza. Starbucks fronts the 4700 block of Beechnut, near the Interstate (I)-610 West Loop South. Look for a silver Honda Civic with lots of bumper stickers.
If you want to meet at the KPC Indian Grass Preserve at 9 am the directions are:
1. Go Interstate 10 West past Katy, exit and turn right (north) onto Pederson Road, and go about one-half mile to U.S. Highway 90.
2. Turn left (west) onto U.S. Highway 90, go about one-half mile, and then turn right onto FM 2855.
3. Go about 6 miles on FM 2855 and stop at FM 529. After you cross FM 529, FM 2855 is called Morrison Road. Go 1 mile and turn left (west). You will still be on Morrison Road.
4. Go 1 mile on Morrison Road and at the stop sign turn right (north) onto Pattison Road. Go 3 miles on Pattison Road and stop at Hebert Road. Turn left (west) onto Hebert Road.
5. Go 1 mile on Herbert Road to the KPC Indian Grass Preserve entrance road. Turn left (south) onto the entrance road, drive 0.3 miles, and park in front of the building.