addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Humanist Community of Central Ohio Message Board › 10/8 Meeting Summary and Choosing November's Book

10/8 Meeting Summary and Choosing November's Book

Heidi B.
user 22422171
Greensboro, NC
Hey there, Wo-Man Booker Ladies!
So excited that fall is finally here! It's perfect reading weather, just the right temperature for a sweater and a cup of tea.
This month's meeting went well, although we all had to make the same confession- none of us had finished the book! We all agreed the Wolf Hall was a little hard to digest in just a month, but all vowed to finish reading Hilary Mantel's saga of Thomas Cromwell's rise to power.
Which brings me to my next point: I have two questions for you ladies.
1) I've noticed attendance has been dropping off as of late. Why is that? Please send your feedback to me privately at Heidi.L.Bretz@gmail.com. I want to know if there's something I can do to help, like change the meeting place or adjust the time. This is your book club too, so please speak up and share your thoughts!
2) What would you ladies like to read for November? Please send me your vote for the following choices for November (as always, synopses are listed below):
1. "Life of Pi" ~Yann Martel
2. "The Inheritance of Loss" ~Kiran Desai
3. "The Line of Beauty" ~Alan Hollinghurst
Thanks for your feedback and I'll announce the winner on Sunday!
Heidi

The Inheritance of Loss- Kiran Desai

Winner of the Man Booker Prize 2006

In a crumbling, isolated house at the foot of Mount Kanchenjunga in the Himalayas lives an embittered judge who wants only to retire in peace, when his orphaned granddaughter, Sai, arrives on his doorstep. The judge’s cook watches over her distractedly, for his thoughts are often on his son, Biju, who is hopscotching from one gritty New York restaurant to another. Kiran Desai’s brilliant novel, published to huge acclaim, is a story of joy and despair. Her characters face numerous choices that majestically illuminate the consequences of colonialism as it collides with the modern world.
Life of Pi- Yann Martel
Winner of the Man Booker Prize 2002
The story of Pi (short for Piscine), an unusual boy brought up on a zoo in India. Pi’s father decides to move the family to live in Canada and sell the animals to the great zoos of America.
The ship taking them across the Pacific sinks and Pi finds himself on a lifeboat with a hyena, an orangutan, a zebra with a broken leg and a Bengal tiger called Richard Parker.
The Line of Beauty- Alan Hollinghurst

Winner of the Man Booker Prize 2004

In the summer of 1983, twenty-year-old Nick Guest moves into an attic room in the Notting Hill home of the Feddens: conservative Member of Parliament Gerald, his wealthy wife Rachel, and their two children, Toby-whom Nick had idolized at Oxford-and Catherine, highly critical of her family's assumptions and ambitions.

As the boom years of the eighties unfold, Nick, an innocent in the world of politics and money, finds his life altered by the rising fortunes of this glamorous family. His two vividly contrasting love affairs, one with a young black clerk and one with a Lebanese millionaire, dramatize the dangers and rewards of his own private pursuit of beauty, a pursuit as compelling to Nick as the desire for power and riches among his friends. Richly textured, emotionally charged, disarmingly comic, this U.K. bestseller is a major work by one of our finest writers.