addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Illinois Regional Agile Users Group (IRAUG) Message Board IRAUG Website Project › IRAUG Website Project

IRAUG Website Project

Maria M.
user 10119083
Group Organizer
Chicago, IL
Post #: 30
In our meeting on September 28, we started the IRAUG website project. We talked about why we wanted to create a new website our own official stand-alone site that would not be blocked by some corporate firewalls. We also wanted to give members of the group an opportunity to work on Scrum projects and expand their skillset. We identified a ScrumMaster and Product Owner and some key core team members for the project. The project is open for anyone from the group to participate in. We identified the Sprint length and decided it would be 4 weeks long with the Sprint starting after the September meeting and ending before the next meeting so that we can showcase the working functionality that is completed. Because our group is geographically dispersed, we needed a way to collaborate online and share our Product Backlog. We will be using Project Cards as our Agile Project Management Tool.

We began planning this project by asking the group what features we wanted for our website. We started brainstorming and wrote down each feature. As the list grew, we got to a point where we had thought of all of the main features, some were essential and core features for the website and some were more 'nice to have' features. We talked through some of the details of the functionality and when a topic came up that was not related to building our Product Backlog, we wrote it on a separate post-it note and set it off to the side so that we could keep track of it later, but not lose focus on the task at hand.

Next we prioritized the features in order of the highest priorities. The group got up and circled around the board that held the post-it notes of all of our website features. Some of the high priorities were listed higher on the list because they were necessary to create before other features. There was some debate on some of the priority orders a few times, but the group was able to come to a consensus on the priorities and through self organization came up with a logical order and had a prioritized Product Backlog.

After we felt comfortable with the order of the features, we determined what we needed to pull into the first Sprint. We knew that we needed to create the basic website first before any of the fancy bells and whistles. We also didn't want to pull more work into the sprint than we could complete so we were careful in keeping our estimations realistic.

We also broke down some of the stories for Sprint 1 into the tasks that needed to be done for the story to be completed.

We asked that the initial team that was present at the planning meeting commit to reviewing the designs and provide input or comment at least once on the progress during the Sprint. We also designated a few people as key reviewers.

Because the team is distributed, we needed a way to keep track of our Product Backlog and Sprint Backlog during the Sprint since we couldn't all meet in a physical space and use a physical storyboard and post-it notes.

After talking to some vendors at Agile 2010 this year, Project Cards was kind enough to donate a copy of their software to IRAUG for us to use on our projects. We updated the list of features we identified for our Product Backlog into Project Cards and pulled up the stories that we identified for the first Sprint along with the tasks that were associated with them. We can identify the person that will be working on the story or task and also note the complexity of that work relative to other stories. When we start working on the stories, we will update the status to in progress then update them to be complete.

At our October meeting, we look forward to presenting our progress to the group and demonstrating what we have created.

We welcome participation from anyone that would like to volunteer to help with this project. Please feel free to comment on this project or ask any questions throughout. This is your opportunity to use Scrum if you have not yet had a chance to!

And we begin the journey now...

To see the attached images larger, view the website project photo album: http://www.meetup.com...­
Maria M.
user 10119083
Group Organizer
Chicago, IL
Post #: 31
I'm going to start drawing a mockup layout and identify the color scheme.

I think the current color scheme will work well to maintain because all of our branding and promotional materials are built around it. It will help keep a consistency throughout the website transition as well.

For the group: Feel free to self organize and start working on one of the Sprint Backlog items noted above.
Maria M.
user 10119083
Group Organizer
Chicago, IL
Post #: 32
Here is the color scheme that our group uses for branding and promotional materials
Please note that the orange and white (4th and 5th boxes) are accent colors that work well with text, not main colors

I drew up the initial mockup page layouts, trying to keep it simple for the first iteration. I put these together as a starting point. Please feel free to review and make suggestions or reference other websites for design examples.

For the "Home Page":

For the "About Us" Page:

For the "Contact Us" Page:

Maria M.
user 10119083
Group Organizer
Chicago, IL
Post #: 33
The more I think about the future state of the site, I feel like it may make sense to have a thin column on the right too for social media links, rss feed, etc.

I started out thinking of a basic structure for the minimal content we need to go live, but we may want to build in a third column from the beginning.
A former member
Post #: 1
The more I think about the future state of the site, I feel like it may make sense to have a thin column on the right too for social media links, rss feed, etc.

I started out thinking of a basic structure for the minimal content we need to go live, but we may want to build in a third column from the beginning.

Wow! I think the color scheme is perfect sense it has been used in the branding of IRAUG.
The Home Page mockup looks very simplistic and easy on the eyes. I like the organization of material especially the logo location, and that is will be on every page... Group Quote: I think it would be an excellent idea to switch it up on a quarterly basis.

"About us" page: I think it would be a good idea to include our current project name or some information within the "Page Title" space.. I like the page layout and staying consistent with the home page.

"Contact us" page: I like the "we're here for you" but I would like to see more descriptive words. Maybe referring to the Scrum/Agile terminology. "IRAUG is here to assist you with your Agile needs/questions".... or education.. something along that line...

Senthil R.
user 12715461
Schaumburg, IL
Thanks for all your hard work Maria!!

All 3 mockup looks good for a first cut. I am pretty sure we can keep enhancing one we have the first few screens designed and built.
Mary M.
mkmacin
Normal, IL
Here is the color scheme that our group uses for branding and promotional materials
Please note that the orange and white (4th and 5th boxes) are accent colors that work well with text, not main colors

Do you know the hexadecimal values for the site colors? They will be needed for the html coding of the site, but I would like to do some experimenting, and the actual values would be better than my estimates. :)

Also, I agree with Maria about adding a permanent third column to the site. Having quick links to social networking sites like facebook and linkedin makes perfect sense with the nature of the group. Do you envision this column on the far right?

Another option, if you want to keep only two columns, you could make a permanent block within the first (left-hand) column that contained a row of social networking icons. I have included a mockup of what this may look like below:

Obviously, this is a rough mock-up, and there wouldn't need to be a heading or any extra white space, I have included those here just to give you an idea of what it could look like.

-Mary
Maria M.
user 10119083
Group Organizer
Chicago, IL
Post #: 36
Thanks for the comments, Terri. Great suggestions on the verbiage.

Good call, Mary, here are the RGB numbers for the colors from left to right.

R: 240 (offwhite)
G: 234
B: 210

R: 51 (dark grey)
G: 51
B: 51

R: 31 (really dark grey/black)
G: 31
B: 31

R: 249 (light orange - accent color)
G: 199
B: 128

R: 238 (light grey - accent color)
G: 229
B: 220

R: 132 (mid grey)
G: 128
B: 117

Those social media icons is what I was thinking too! Its not in this sprint to add them, but I'd like to know from the developers if it makes sense to leave space for them (i.e. have a third column in the initial design) or not worry about it until we get to that point.
Maria M.
user 10119083
Group Organizer
Chicago, IL
Post #: 38
Here is draft text for the Home page, About Us page and Contact Us page:

Home page:
At a glance information (left column):

Founded August 10, 2009
Constituents: 116
Meetings: 14

Next meeting:
Tuesday, October 26
Jon Stahl
Kanban: Seeing not hearing constraints
6:00 - 7:30 pm
Entourage Lounge
(Link to RSVP)

Home page, Main text:

The Illinois Regional Agile Users Group (IRAUG) is dedicated to promoting the use of Agile Project Management practices and providing a leading local forum to support a community of practitioners.

We will look at Agile approaches, Scrum, XP, 6 Sigma and Lean processes.

Our monthly meetings provide opportunities for networking with other agile practitioners, sharing of experiences and discussions on changes in the agile realm.

We promote personal and professional development among our members and provide an open forum for collaboration, knowledge sharing and working together to give back to the community.

(insert IRAUG video)

Mission: We are dedicated to furthering the knowledge of Agile Project Management practices, promoting personal and professional development among our members, providing an open forum for collaboration and knowledge sharing and giving back to the community.

About Us page, Main text:

IRAUG was established to provide a forum for the Agile and Scrum Project Management community to share ideas, best practices, encourage growth in our practitioners, and allow outside resources to interact and discuss their unique approaches and issues as they relate to the framework and methodologies.

IRAUG provides a physical monthly meeting and a constant online presence conducive to personal and professional development. They say if you build it; they will come... That's exactly what we are doing here. With your help and commitment, our collective success is inevitable. Promoting awareness is everyone's responsibility and to lead, IRAUG aspires to be the focal point of this awareness.

In addition to the industry standards, we encourage individual contribution toward a greater goal. We are open to input from our constituents, area businesses, and individuals regarding meeting format, frequency, duration, and content.

IRAUG is the Scrum Alliance's Illinois Scrum User Group

(insert Scrum User Group Video)

Contact us page, Main text:

We would like to welcome you to attend our next meeting or get involved directly on our discussion board. If you have any questions, please contact us by filling out the below form:
(form will send email to IRAUG (at) IRAUG.org)
Senthil R.
user 12715461
Schaumburg, IL
Post #: 2
10/13/2010 - Stand up meeting minutes
Attendees: Maria Matarelli, Terri Zeschke, Sherri Appio, Aaron Kelly, Mary Mason
Status

• Mock-up screens and the content for the screens are completed
  • Aron will review and start building the screen
  • Maria will post updated Sprint 1 stories status
  • Facebook Group creation not discussed. Can be addressed in next stand up.
  • No issues identified
  • Next stand up meeting will be 10/20/2010 4:30 PM