addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Inquisitive Minds Message Board › Connick v. Thompson case - any legal jedis around?

Connick v. Thompson case - any legal jedis around?

A former member
Post #: 22
Has anyone been tracking the Connick v. Thompson case? I've tried to read up articles on the case, but everything I've been able to lay my hands on, seems to be biased towards the dissenting (minority) viewpoint.

Has anyone read anything which might offer an insight into why or how the majority viewpoint makes sense? Any legal jedis who can educate us? I'm curious to know more, but feel a bit lost with this topic...

Here are two articles, in case you haven't heard about this issue:

http://www.slate.com/...­
http://www.nytimes.co...­

In 1985, John Thompson was convicted of murder in Louisiana. He was sentenced to death and spent 18 years in prison — 14 of them isolated on death row. Several weeks before an execution scheduled for May 1999, Thompson's private investigators learned that prosecutors had failed to turn over evidence that would have cleared him at his robbery trial.

...the four prosecutors in Thompson's case managed to keep secret the fact that they had hidden exculpatory evidence for 20 years. Were it not for Thompson's investigators, he would have been executed for a murder he did not commit.

Thompson sued. And the SC ruled against him.

Confused :(