addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

LA Robotics Club Message Board › Fine Art Robot: "Please Don't Feed the Robotic Orchid"

Fine Art Robot: "Please Don't Feed the Robotic Orchid"

Brian P.
user 13999900
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 2
I thought y'all might be interested in the interactive mechanical sculpture I recently showed at the Conjoined II group show at Copro Gallery in Santa Monica. Its called "Please Don't feed the Robotic Orchid" and consists of a mechanical tentacle topped with sharpened metal jaws that tries to bite anyone who gets too close.

Components:
-Basic Stamp 2
-3 Sonar range finders
-PIR motion sensor
-4 Servos

Basically, It locates its nearest target, determines how close it is, and then responds accordingly. Programmed behaviors range from vaguely interested, to alertly attentive, to attack mode (my personal favorite). When putting this together, it was really an exorcize in keeping things as simple as possible while getting the performance desired. In this regard, it was reasonably successful.

http://www.copronason...­

Robot VS Hipster

http://www.youtube.co...­

Enjoy!
Bob M
Sherman Oaks, CA
Post #: 10
Your design is very clever!

I see a great opportunity for you selling a kit version based on an Arduino and offering it on websites like 'MakerShed.com' or 'SparkFun.com'.