What we're about
Lake Michigan Sailing Club began in 2016 and sails from five Lake Michigan harbors: Waukegan, Winthrop Harbor, Kenosha, Racine, and Milwaukee. We are a sailing club interested in putting boat owners and crew together. You don't have to own a boat to be a member of Lake Michigan Sailing Club. We need crew to assist our boat owners in sailing their boat. If you don't know how to sail, but want to learn, we are willing to help you. Let us invite you out as our guest.
Club Statement: COVID-19
Due to the improvements in health issues related to COVID-19, LMSC was able to sponsor sailing events in 2021 and 2022. We greatly missed sailing in 2020! Sailing events for 2023 and will be posted in the May timeframe. Our monthly meetings will continue to be online using ZOOM. They include educational and entertaining programming.
To all members of Lake Michigan Sailing Club,
It has come to the attention of the LMSC Board that not all members have been upfront regarding their COVID vaccination status. In addition, several members have recently tested positive for COVID. Because of this, the Board has decided that proof of vaccination must be submitted and and reviewed for compliance before attendance at any in-person event. This applies to anyone attending club events, including plus ones.
We will require that all members forward a copy of their vaccine card directly to the commodore of LMSC at: firstname.lastname@example.org. The vaccine cards will NOT be kept after review by the commodore. Each member will be given a designation of a V after their name on Meetup to signify that they have fulfilled the requirement. If anyone objects to this guideline, that is their prerogative to do so. However, they will not be allowed to participate in any Lake Michigan Sailing Club events. We sincerely hope that all comply, since it is in the interest of the entire club to stay safe and healthy. Most of us by now have either directly or indirectly experienced the devastating and lasting effects of this illness. Some of us have lost family members and/or friends as well.
Let us be safe out there and have fair winds.
HOW TO SAIL WITH US:
It's EASY and we want you to sail with us! BOAT OWNERS Follow Step 1 and you will be contacted to go over separate procedures for signing up. WANT TO SAIL WITH US? Follow the steps below to try it out or become a member. Step 1. JOIN MEETUP:
- On our Meetup webpage click on the RED tab “Request to join.”
- Create a log in.
- Login and upload a head-shot of yourself. To be accepted you must use current and accurate HEADSHOT only. This is required so that boat owners will be able to identify you when you arrive for a sail.
- Fill out the questionnaire and save it, you will then become a pending member. A MESSAGE WILL BE SENT TO YOU with the link to the Temporary Guest Membership application along with other information for joining. Be sure and check our website for additional messages that we may send to you.
Step 2. TEMPORARY GUEST MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION:
- Open the welcome email and click the link to the Temporary Guest Membership Application.
- Complete the Temporary Guest Application, sign it electronically, click on “I Accept”, then click “submit”.
-Once the application is accepted, you will be approved to RSVP for events and sails on our meetup.com webpage. Be sure and check our website for additional messages that we may send to you.
Step 3. RSVP FOR SAILS & EVENTS:
- A sailing ambassador will be contacting you via phone to welcome you, answer questions & assist you with signing up for your first sail. If you have not been contacted & would like us to call you please email us : LakeMichiganSailingClub@gmail.com
- Once you have been approved on our Meetup.com webpage, you may RSVP for our events and come out as our temporary guest up to 3 times within the calendar year that you are approved. NOTE: Only paid members can invite a guest. If you want someone else to sail with you, please have them go through the process of Joining us on Meetup (Steps 1 through 3, above) and they will be sent the link to fill our the Temporary Guest Membership application. Once they are approved they may RSVP for the events.
- LOGIN to our Meetup page & SIGN UP for your first sailing event! Login To Join A Sail!
-If you are a beginner,
The American Sailing Association offers a free online sailing course titled “Your First Sail”. It takes anywhere from about 30-45 minutes. And, you will receive a certificate for completing the course! Link is below. We require that beginners complete this on-line course and bring the certificate and give to the captain on your first sail with us. https://asa.com/free-online-sailing-course/
- During your first 3 times you may be invited by a board member to join our club as a paid member so that you can continue sailing with us. Please note you MUST be invited BEFORE making any payments.
Step 4. MEMBERSHIP & DUES : - Temporary Guest Members: After you have been invited to become a Regular Member by one of our board members, you will need to pay a yearly fee in order to join & continue to sail with us. If you are a Temporary Guest Member that has been invited to join please submit your dues now and your membership will be good for the rest of this calendar year.
- Regular Members are required to pay yearly dues.
- How to Pay Annual Dues:
o PAY ONLINE: On our Meetup Website go to the event listed as “PAY ANNUAL DUES-Regular Membership” and follow the instructions listed.
- You must also complete your 2023 Membership Application – Crew Member. Click on the link included in the detail of the event to complete and electronically sign the membership form. Be sure to click on the "I Accept” button before you submit.
- Joining as a family (family member is defined as living in the same household). Click on the event listed as: “PAY ANNUAL DUES- Family Membership”
We look forward to having you join our sailors at Lake Michigan Sailing Club. If you experience difficulty, we are happy to help. Contact LMSC Membership at: LakeMichiganSailingClub@gmail.com
- Below is information on our current boats:
Michael Gold - Boat Name: AriLex - 37ft Jenneau - Waukegan Harbor & Marina
Bill Lee - Boat Name: Knot On Call - 27ft Catalina - Waukegan Harbor & Marina
Jesse Bowen - Boat Name: Limnos - Pacific Seacraft - 34ft cutter-rigged -North Point Marina
Albert and Debbie Gruchalski - Boat Name: Andiamo -30ft Laguna -North Point Marina
Fred Mullard - Boat Name: Spass -26ft MacGregor -North Point Marina
- Mike Jandacek - Boat Name: Halcyon II- 43ft Hunter- -Southport Marina
Barry Bernstein – Boat Name: C’est La Vie -36ft Catalina -Southport Marina
Kenny Gatesman - Boat Name: Spindrift -36ft Catalina - Southport Marina
Gary Glenn - Boat Name: Shutterbug -36ft Catalina - Southport Marina
Colin and Becky Weaver- Boat Name: Calypso II -22ft MacGregor Venture -Southport Marina
Kevin and Tina Hull - Boat Name: Confetti -50ft SABA Fountaine Pajot- Harbor varies by season
Jim Mueller – Boat Name: Driftwood-25ft ketch
- “Note: all boats in the Lake Michigan Sailing Club fleet undergo a Vessel Safety Check to determine whether they meet U.S. Coast Guard safety requirements for recreational boats. The safety review is conducted annually by a Vessel Safety Examiner who is certified by the U.S. Coast Guard.”
For on-line training information, please visit our website by clicking on the following link.