addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Lambda Lounge Kraków Message Board › Meeting ideas

Meeting ideas

Konrad G.
user 83251692
Kraków, PL
Post #: 1
I wonder how many people read this, but is there a better place to talk? Anyway, here's a few ideas on what we could do.

Things I kind of think I might know something about:

We could talk about, or *do* (workshop?) something more practical. I only know Clojure, but even here there are some interesting things to show. One good practical example is writing web apps - maybe just server side, maybe Clojure all the way with Clojure and ClojureScript, depends on how much time is available. It could be very practical, and it could show some interesting concepts that are very different from anything (AOP-equivalent HOFs and macros, request processing with purely functional filters/wrappers, destructuring). Maybe actual interactive development with REPL (though there may be better problems for it). It also could show that Clojure works just fine with all the existing technologies - Java (Jetty), DBs, JavaScript, whatever.

We could talk about functional problem solving. Like practical use of streams and laziness (great exercise in Odersky's course with writing solver for a game; many good examples at Project Euler). Like approaching problems in terms of "immutable state transformations", not operating on limited mutable data structures. You know, stop for a moment and use some of those things in practice - everyone knows what map and filter are, but it would be nice to go a bit deeper with them. Not just 5 minutes per language to show the syntax.

Things I have no ideas about and would like to learn: Monads. Category theory. Maybe also logic programming. Don't rush, more than one meeting is fine, really. If I can use it in practice, all the better.

Finally, we could look at what other lambda lounges are doing. :-)