addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Las Vegas Writers Group Message Board › Fantasy Novel tips?

Fantasy Novel tips?

A former member
Post #: 1
I'm part way started...about 4 chapters worth. I have a chapter by chapter outline a map and a list of character names and places and such. It's not going to be too epic, meaning not overly complex and only a handful of main characters. Any tips or suggestions or story arcs or plot must haves and what-not-to-dos? Finding that I need to rewrite quite a bit already....fleshing out some characters adding some motivations, foreshadowings and making my names better.

Thanks

Gary
A former member
Post #: 4
Good luck with your novel. Probably the most obvious suggestion would be to check the list of titles by your most admired writer in the field you're interested in and see if they might have written a book on writing.
It would seem a more appealing choice to me to write out a first draft to completion before starting to rewrite so that you would have the satisfaction of completing one draft, so that you would have a completed copy to refer to in the event that you put the project away in a drawer for any length of time and might forget what some of the notes indicated. You partially creatively think through each scene to make an outline and it just makes more sense to me to carry the thoughts about any particular chapter through as far as you can and put them to paper.
You might decide to delete a chapter or chapters at some point which would be loss of time in rewriting early chapters that you might decide not to use. Also, rewriting the novel as a whole might give a more consistent style.
Tip that I would give you is to concentrate on writing out the complete most compelling story that you can.
And maybe giving presidence or asking for suggestions from the most successful writers that you can contact in the field.