addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

London Atheist Activist Group (informal community) Message Board 1. MAIN FORUM - (non-Islam) › Propaganda at University.

Propaganda at University.

robert b.
user 26763052
London, GB
Post #: 4
Hi there all, just a heads up. 2082: The Chronicles Of Hope is an Amazon bestselling eBook, featuring an atheist revolutionary politician who believes that notions of science, reason, and a humanist morality should underpin society rather than superstition and religion.

The first eBook is now completely FREE to download on Amazon for Kindle until Monday - link here - http://www.amazon.co....­
Jason
SweynTUV
London, GB
Post #: 61
Never mind about uni - this is what I received through my internal WORK email!

Frances, if other clubs and associations communicate through the official email then fair enough I suppose but the official endorsement of the CEO is rather shocking. It's indicative of the climate that this (and the previous) government have engendered. I would ask what the CPS Muslim or Jewish associations feel about this, but I can imagine that they would be fine with it. The faithful now seem to be one big happy family. Even the future king wants to be 'defender of faith' without seeming to give two hoots about what people have faith in. Apparently all that matters is that no-one of faith is offended by having their nonsense challenged, but those of us that want to go about our business without having religion thrust in our faces are fair game. I will be interested to hear what the NSS have to say. I'll bet it is not an isolated case.
Jason
SweynTUV
London, GB
Post #: 62
I have tried to see where this university is in the trail of communications. Where is it? Utter discrimination and an affront to our precious liberty! Do these people not realise that the whole purpose of a university is the pursuit of truth? I would add my support to taking action against such blatant censorship.

Fully agree John. Freedom of expression, freedom of association and promoting the spirit of intellectual inquiry vs. the possibility that someone might at some future time be offended (gasp) and a quiet life for administrators. That should not be a difficult decision for a professional educator and yet here we are.

Cloe, this really ought not to be tolerated. Obviously it's entirely your call as to how you respond to this idiocy but I am sure that any reasonable response would receive the active support of many in this group.
Cloe
golfwang
London, GB
Post #: 6
Do not fear, I will not tolerate it. I will keep you all updated.
David S
hyponitrite
Shepperton, GB
Post #: 78
Count me in.

VI
Rav
user 57355212
London, GB
Post #: 7
Galling. Is this for real? Count me in, I support.
Martyn
Maradam
Guildford, GB
Post #: 628
Yet another update!
Apparently the religious societies have the most power and we are not allowed to, for example, put up a poster saying "Is there a god?" Or else the Islamic and Christian society will be offended. Yet they are allowed to flood the Uni with their statements. The society system it seems is run unfairly and they would get the Atheists shut down quickly if they were offended. It's madness! We aren't even allowed to debate it with the religious societies.
This is insanely backward. You aren't even allowed to openly question the existence of a higher power.
At least we are allowed a society. Sorry, rant over.
Awful. So The Ists are denying free speech?
We have a case here.
Richard F
user 2543752
London, GB
Post #: 1,049
I'm in. I've seen this in other places of 'learning'. Disgusting. I wonder what the NSS would think of this?
Lorna M.
user 14006726
Billericay, GB
Post #: 48
Hi Cloe,
You don't state which uni you are at? I am a PhD student in the anthropology dept at UCL, we have a pretty organised AHS and I'm sure they would be willing to offer some advice/ideas on how to approach the societies admin over these issues (you can contact them via facebook). Good that they have agreed to the society, I know at our uni some older students have had trouble setting up a parents group, it doesn't fall in the right remit or something - so the rules can be obscure no matter what you are trying to get started!!!
I also know the AHS at LSE was refused the right to change their name to include 'ex-Muslim', despite having many ex-Muslim members, in case it caused problems for students and led to antagonism.
There appear to be lots of odd regulations (and ultimately as they hand out the money for the societies they get to have final say on 'official' groups anyway), but I think there are often 'clever' ways around them, careful wording, ambigious titles etc, and then you can just get on with what you want to do.
Steve
lawlorsteve
Purley, GB
Post #: 922
Love that attitude. love struck

We are with you Cloe. I'm sure we will be able to help in some way(s) :-)

Steve.

Do not fear, I will not tolerate it. I will keep you all updated.