addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Susan W.
user 56143832
London, GB
Post #: 7
Can't believe that this insidious piece of cultural imperialism has crept back into 21st century speech.
Fancy hi-jacking human values as one's own.
ALL societies pre and post Christianity had a degree of human kindness in reaching out to strangers.
Probably part of the nasty conflation of religion and morality.
Susan
A former member
Post #: 285
Yes, anyone encountered using this phrase needs to be robustly challenged. "What, you mean like selling your daughter into slavery? Or was it stoning your neighbours for putting pork on their barbecue you had in mind?"
Jason
SweynTUV
London, GB
Post #: 177
Can't believe that this insidious piece of cultural imperialism has crept back into 21st century speech
Yes indeed and the phrase "Christian civilisation" is also bouncing back in the echo chamber that is the Christian media. They don't just want to appropriate being nice, they are also responsible for the very idea of being civilised. As if all non Christians fill their days with eating babies and throwing handfuls of their own poop at each other.

Some times we all get suckered into the idea that the OT is nasty and the NT is nice. I think it's helpful to remind people that it is actually a manual for a millennial cult. Give away your possessions, abandon your family and follow me because the end of the world is coming. To hear Christians speak about the NT it's as if it just said "Do unto others etc..." Bart Simpson style on every page.

Adrian
KingHell
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 683
Hi Susan - nice to see you on the forum :-)

Well I predicted that as we get poorer (and I am confident that the economic situation in the UK will only deteriorate in real terms for at least the next generation) then we can expect more draconian rules and a reversal of the 'live and let live' attitude that is typically associated with affluence.

I wonder to what extent this is the politicians' pathetic and oblique response to the need for a debate about how to integrate muslims into mainstream society is of any help. Apparently the answer is to take us all back to the superstitious middle ages. And it's not just here in the UK. In Miami they are looking at criminalising homelessness! Florida is of course one of the areas hardest hit by foreclosures as a result of the sub-prime crisis.

The Archdick of Canterbury and the Pope have been calling for action to help the poor while sitting on billions themselves. The church of England (but really mostly Africa these days, which is probably why they voted against women clergy) is worth in the region of £5bn. The Vatican considerably more. But a celestial voice has told them that financial husbandry is more important than helping the poor themselves, so they're doing their public hand-wringing (a phrase I think we'll be using more and more) whilst sitting on the solution. Charity certainly doesn't begin in their home. I'd have a lot more respect (although still almost none) if the church got their cheque books out, and also shopped all the paedos they've been hiding and still hide. xtian values my arse. Atheists have better so-called xtian values than xtians!
Martyn
Maradam
Guildford, GB
Post #: 708
A return to Christian values? Rubbish!

You mean they'd ignore scientific advice on disease - like AIDS in Africa ... errrr ...
Or mount a Crusade and invade muslim countries in the Middle East ... oh ... wait a minute.

Hm. <Thinks...>

So chaps, how long before they start burning witches?
(Its cheaper and far greener than burning oil)

...and when do they start flogging, branding and piercing tongues with a red-hot poker for muttering blasphemy?
(Actually, that sounds like one of those parties where you dress up in a black leather hood and thong and then come away with various tattoos, body piercings and no memory of what happened - except for the police evidence presented in court the following day. And we've all been there haven't we?)

And how much do daughters go for these days?

And as for stoning your neighbours (or is it getting stoned with your neighbours?)...

You've got to love Christian values. They're so barbaric!