addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

London Atheist Activist Group (informal community) Message Board SUCCESSFUL/COMPLETED CAMPAIGNS (archive) › Petition for LSE to apologise and change its approach to free speech and atheism

Petition for LSE to apologise and change its approach to free speech and atheism

Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 2,013
If you don't know the story, click HERE.

Similar incidents have happened in other unis and as many of you know, LAAG member, Cloe, also had problems trying start a university atheist society at South Bank Uni (SBAS). Despite many religious societies, the authorities at South Bank gave various obstacles for an atheist one! Though now established, SBAS is having posters ripped off walls.

So let's send a strong message to university authorities - please share the petition as far and wide as you can. This is not the first time something like this has happened. Dawkins, Boghossian and many others including ourselves at LAAG have been tweeting about it, and the NSS is also on the case, and we NEED to be. If we let it go, we can wave goodbye to being able to express our atheist views.

Here's some of an email to LAAG, from Chris, at LSECU :

Thank you for your email, and thank you so much for expressing your support - it's great to know that we are not alone out there.

In the meantime, if you would like to support us, a LSE Student Governor has set up a petition that is open to sign for everyone.

Thank you for your help, and see you soon hopefully!

Cheers,
Chris

Robin
Robin.Homer
London, GB
Post #: 10
My gosh.
Need to make sure this doesn't become a habit.
Signed.
Gajane G.
user 15969361
London, GB
Post #: 1
Signed!
A former member
Post #: 85
Signed, with what I hope is a suitably biting paragraph. Although I live in Birmingham, I am very much prepared to join in any demonstration or direct action required to stop the spread of such religious fascism as demonstrated by the LSE!
A former member
Post #: 2
Signed.
Roma
user 49186542
London, GB
Post #: 3
Signed
A former member
Post #: 4
Signed...

... and I can't help wondering at all the Jews who freely say that they don't believe in Jesus, the Christians who don't believe in Mohammad, the Moslems who don't believe in... well, you get the idea... but what happens to them? Everyone's an atheist of sorts. We've just gone one god further than most devout monotheists.

It appears that it doesn't matter which particular brand of religious bull5h1t you believe in, or how many people believe in a different religious bull5h1t so long as you don't say openly that you want to live in a more rational, logical, secular world (country, city, university, etc) and get away from all the illogical, irrational, religious crap that some people believe in (and can't help them selves from spouting!).

Makes me want to spit, it really does!
A former member
Post #: 1
Because free speech is important - including the right to criticise and even make fun of ideas. Ideas are not people and Islam is not a race. It is simply disgraceful to preference one belief over another or the lack of one. In essence, LSE is saying to their students that non-belief or dissent is not allowed- both are deplorable in an institute of higher education but especially LSE, that, after all,was founded by four atheist/non-theists!
rodney k.
user 91786232
London, GB
Post #: 16
signed, let's make them come to their senses.
When I was young the LSE was important, seems to have slipped.
Georgi L.
Guffaw
London, GB
Post #: 2,015
Of course this isn't an isolated incident. Reading uni previously BANNED its atheist Soc!

Well done all for signing - Couldn't agree more with what you'll said said so far. We SHOULD be outraged by this.

Both Abhishek and Chris Moos (President), the Atheist Secularist and Humanist Society (ASH) at LSE, are hoping to be at our meeting on Wednesday, so we'll have an opportunity to hear what the response from LSE authorities has been.

PLEASE SHARE THE PETITION ON FB, twitter etc. AS WIDELY AS YOU CAN. As AtheismUK have also said, "free speech bites the dust with this". It is imperative that we are strong with our response.