addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

London European Club Message Board › July newsletter of the London European Club

July newsletter of the London European Club

This message board is read-only.

Maja
user 6934588
Group Organizer
London, GB
Dear Europeans

it is early July and it is time for our monthly newsletter.

I'd like to welcome the new members to the Club and invite them to join us at one of the many events this month, starting from tomorrow if you want to discover How much is Enough? and on Thursday if you want to see what kind of trips around Europe we are planning until the end of this year.

I'd also like to invite you to familiarize yourselves with the RULES of this Club by reading them here http://www.meetup.com/London-European-Club/messages/boards/thread/19172122­

The rules are pretty simple and easy to follow. I understand that they may not be to everyone's taste but we are not planning to change them, they work for the Club and have made it one of the most active, vibrant and interesting voluntary groups on the London Meetup scene.

Aside from our regular events, like the movie night, where we are showing the German film The Lives of Others; the Scandinavian party, the 19km monthly walk in the English country side and the Saturday Coffee meetup, we have a variety of other events that will bring you closer to various European cultures that have found their home in London. You may have noticed that there are many organisers in this Club, and you are welcome to suggest an event and host it yourself if you feel inspired. One thousand six hundred seventy nine pairs of eyes are better than twenty two, so do suggest an event and you too can become an event organiser in the London European Club.

Recently I had  an interesting discussion with one of our new members about the concept of a Club. Being English he understood it very well, he understood what the original idea of the London European Club was. The discussion with him prompted me to do a bit of research on the issue of Clubs and to remind myself and all of you, why this is not a group, a sect or place for mass gatherings but is a Club.

The original clubs were established in England in the 18 century. Clubs took over the role occupied by coffee houses in 18th century London to some degree, and reached the height of their influence in the late 19th century. The first clubs, were aristocratic in flavour, and provided an environment for gambling, which was illegal outside of members-only establishments.

The 19th century brought an explosion in the popularity of clubs and London had over 400 such establishments. The existing clubs, with strict limits on membership numbers and long waiting lists (only gentlemen were allowed)  were generally wary of newly-enfranchised potential members, and so these people began forming their own clubs.

An increasing number of clubs were characterised by their members' interest in politics, literature, sport, art, automobiles, travel, particular countries, or some other pursuit. This can certainly be said about the London European Club, which unlike the clubs in the 18th and 19th century is very egalitarian and doesn't charge for membership. We are not interested in gambling and we are not an only gentlemen's Club. Our interest is not just the EU, but the European continent, its politics, the different cultures, nations.....The Club is open to people of any gender, race, age group, sexual orientation..... But it is still exclusive because it will only suit members who are interested in Europe and who are prepared to put an effort and be active. It welcomes people who actively come to events and who organise events. Those who expect something to be done for them, and who see themselves as customers would not enjoy this Club.

Almost two years after I started the London European Club I am amazed by how popular it is and how active it has become. And for that I want to thank all the people who organised events, although I do have to specially mention Andy and Marion, who are co-organisers and without whom this Club would never be as active as it is. But also everyone else who has organised even one event per year, your contribution is much appreciated. And I want to thank everyone who has been to many or just one event of the Club, without your interest in our events, we simply won't exist.

We are planning to celebrate our second birthday on Saturday, the 4th of August. So put that date in your diaries and watch out for the announcement of the birthday party of the London European Club.

I look forward to seeing you all soon.

Maja (pronounced Maya)

Organizer of the London European Club