Set up originally as a way for explorers and adventurers to recruit new teammates for expeditions, people quickly let Belinda know that they would like to go on adventures with her, and so she started setting up adventures herself. Nowadays, every adventure that we run has been carefully crafted to reflect Belinda's original vision, standards, and ethos.
• People discover just what they are capable of, which has the power to transform lives and inspire others.
• People learn new skills that improve self sufficiency and increase their ability to appreciate the outdoors on their own
• People experience new locations and experiences that broaden their horizons, and make them more comfortable with uncertainty (e.g. cold weather / night experiences).
2) We are a strong and friendly community
We nurture a long-standing and inclusive community of outdoor enthusiasts (https://www.explorersconnect.com/members), where people quickly find new friends to do all the stuff they love with. We foster an environment wherein:
• You can be yourself: We actively celebrate individuality, and do not stand for 'cliqueyness' or coolness in any shape or form. Our hosts and partners actively ensure everyone is included in conversations who wants to be.
• Everyone is treated as adults and equals: It's a muck-in environment, where group decisions are actively encouraged. It's all about empowerment.
3) We are a thought-leader in adventure-for-wellbeing
We believe we spend too much time indoors, stifled by convenience and comfort, and it's killing us, impacting our auto-immune systems and causing numerous mental health problems. We actively raise awareness of, and conversation around, the positive impacts of adventure on mental, physical and emotional well being.
Alongside our adventures, we run a range of other initiatives to encourage people to live more adventurously:
• In 2016, we founded Wild Night Out (https://www.explorersconnect.com/wild-night-out) - Britain's National Night of Adventure - and now partner with the YHA, Ordnance Survey, and Ellis Brigham (amongst many others) to deliver it, in order to raise funds for the Youth Adventure Trust.
At Explorers Connect we believe adventure is a necessity of the human spirit. The modern world has become too easy, too averse to challenge and too disconnected from nature. This is having a negative effect on our physical and mental health. What we need is an #AdventureRevolution
We have groups all around Britain so all our events fill up and will run. We don't use Meetup much so don't be put off if there are small numbers here we get an average of 20 people on each weekend (max 24).
If you've not come on an Explorers Connect event yet, they're very informal and friendly. We've got singles, couples and sets of friends coming along, as well as adventure professionals and complete beginners - what we all share is the desire for more adventure.