(This event is completely full and is now closed to new Yes RSVPs, sorry.)
Futurist Gerd Leonhard's new book has the provocative title "Technology vs. Humanity: The coming clash between man and machine". This book brings together mankind’s urge to upgrade and automate everything - including human biology itself - with our timeless quest for freedom and happiness.
Fast Future Publishing (http://fastfuturepublishing.com/main/shop/tech-vs-human/) writes: Before it’s too late, we must stop and ask the big questions: How do we embrace technology without becoming it? When it happens - gradually, then suddenly - the machine era will create the greatest watershed in human life on Earth. Technology vs. Humanity is one of the last moral maps we’ll get as humanity enters the Jurassic Park of Big Tech.
This meetup is being organised as a bonus London Futurists event, in which Gerd will convey key highlights of his thinking and answer questions from the audience.
Please note that:
• This event is happening on the same day and in the same room as another London Futurists event - "The End of Banking? with Jonathan McMillan" (https://www.meetup.com/London-Futurists/events/232384444/) - and will start after that one has finished
• Specifically, this event will start at 4.15pm, after a short comfort break following the previous event, and will finish by 5pm
• There is no charge to attend this event, but in case of too many people wanting to attend it, priority will be given to London Futurists members who are also signed up for the preceding event
• For a longer event earlier in the same week, featuring more of Gerd's thinking - on the evening of Thursday 8th September - sign up for this FutureScapes meetup (https://www.meetup.com/FutureScapes/events/233288468/).
About the book "Technology vs. Humanity":
For more details of the book "Technology vs. Humanity", see:
• The publisher's website (Fast Future Publishing) (http://fastfuturepublishing.com/main/shop/tech-vs-human/)
• This three minute video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uo1FlcQENk).
About the speaker:
Gerd Leonhard is a widely-known and top-rated futurist, with over 1500 engagements in 50+ countries since 2004 and a combined audience of over 1 million people.
Gerd focusses on near-future, ‘nowist’ observations and actionable foresights in the sectors of humanity, society, business and commerce, media, technology and communications.
Gerd is also an influential author, a sought-after executive ‘future trainer’ and a trusted strategic advisor. He is the co-author of the best-selling book The Future of Music and the author of 5 other books including ‘The Humanity Challenge’ (June 2016). Gerd is also the host of the web-TV series TheFutureShow and the CEO of TheFuturesAgency, a global network of over 30 leading futurists.
For more details, see http://www.futuristgerd.com/ .
4pm-5pm, Saturday 10th September 2016.
Venue: Room B20, Birkbeck College (http://www.bbk.ac.uk/maps), Torrington Square WC1E 7HX, London.
Room B20 is on the basement level in the main Birkbeck College building, in Torrington Square (which is a pedestrian-only square). Torrington Square is about 10 minutes walk from either Russell Square or Goodge St tube stations.
Coffee and other light refreshments can be purchased from the Costa Coffee shop in the reception area of the building, either ahead of or after the meeting.
The event will be followed by a chance to continue the discussion in a nearby pub - The Marlborough Arms (http://www.taylor-walker.co.uk/pub-food/marlborough-arms-bloomsbury/pid-C7440), 36 Torrington Place, London WC1E 7HJ.