Welcome to London Social Detours this group is dedicated to enjoying London to the full! The Meet-ups will be themed and cover things like:
• Concerts - so far we have done the Royal Academy of Music and the London Symphony Orchestra.
• Walks - we have done a St. Valentine Day themed walk which was featured in the Islington Gazette. That's Entertainment.
• Strolls along the Regent's canal.
• Museum Lates - have done the V&A - National Portrait Gallery & even Christie's!
• Slap-up Suppers - we did Vapiano but more on the horizon.
• Comedy nights & Nights at the Flicks - we recently went to Angel Comedy, brilliant night!
• Trips to the Theatre - The Globe is amazing.
• Vistas - We've been to Skyline & The monument too.
• Mystery street games - we had a whodunnit in and around Temple - so good I am going to do more!
To top it all off, the organiser is a Qualified London Tour guide and will treat you to some themed walks with a bit of socialising thrown in. This promises to be lots of fun and it will be a great opportunity to make lots of new friends.
As a follow up to the tour of the Poppy Factory. I thought it might be interesting to catch this poignant exhibition at the Imperial War Museum before it closes... Although, you don't have to have been to the Poppy Factory to appreciate the new challenges people faced after our victory in the Great War. We will take a self guided tour of the exhibition and then visit the WW l gallery.
RENEWAL: LIFE AFTER THE FIRST WORLD WAR IN PHOTOGRAPHS
They say: In the years after the First World War, countries, cities and individuals had to regenerate and rebuild themselves on an extraordinary scale. From the devastation and loss, a new world emerged.
Through a rich collection of photographs, discover the innovation and resourcefulness that shaped the rebuilding and regeneration of the world post-war, revealing resilience and creativity in times of great change.
Highlighting the ways in which individual lives, landscapes and national identities recovered, evolved and even flourished in the aftermath of war, this extensive collection of over 130 black and white photographs, alongside documents and objects examine renewal and the complex process of reconstructing a home, a town or a continent.
From images of refugees returning to ruined homes, through the reconstruction of Ypres, to battlefields depicting the villages that ‘died for France’ and were never rebuilt, these rarely seen photographs from this little-explored time period reveal the extent of destruction and change in war-torn Europe and beyond.
After this we'll go for a Chit-Chat with Coffee'n'Cake in their Cafe.
The Meetup fee for this event is £3.00 – which is payable on the day.
Please keep an eye out for the Meetup sign. If you do not see us please call/text me on:[masked] – text is best! - psssst! Don't forget to say your name in the message.
However, before sending any message please check the site in case I have added an update.
Hope to see lots of you there :)
NB. As usual there will be others coming along from my other Meetup family ;)