addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

WordPress London Message Board › Want to rip something apart?

Want to rip something apart?

Sunny B.
user 14465822
London, GB
Post #: 2
Hi: I'm looking for people to criticize my project! We've got a Wordpress site at http://the-briefing.c...­ and want to know what we've done wrong. I can take it! I'm post launch and so very broke, but I'll buy a coffee and a cake for anyone who sends me a decent critique (although you may have to come to Imperial College to collect). Thanks in advance!

Best,

Sunny

sunny.bains@the-briefing.com
Andy C.
Workshopshed
London, GB
Post #: 13
I don't know if it's everyone looking at it at the same time but it was very slow to load so you might need to look at that.

Had a bit of a play and did not manage to break anything, so that will explain the strange searches and 404s you will have in your logs.

In general the site looks nice and was easy to navigate and I found some interesting articles. The about, TOS, policies, help paqes are clear and detailed. You've taken the "we send you cookies" approach to the EU regulations which personally I prefer but I'm not sure if that technically complies with the regulations.

It might be nice if the "related books" section had reviews from your site rather than jumping directly to Amazon. The top banner feels a little intrusive after a while and it might be nice to have an option to shrink or dismiss it.

My only observation is there are quite a lot of javascripts at the top of the page so you might want to review if any of those can be moved to the bottom or if they can benefit from minification. You also might want to look at using the google libraries to load things like jquery directly from google rather than your own site.

For people who don't want to review the site there are a couple of really useful articles for bloggers, I've booked marked those for my own reviews.

http://the-briefing.c...­
http://the-briefing.c...­

I was going to take you up on that coffee offer but it seems our office manage has topped up supplies for the moment.

Cheers,

Andy