addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Long Beach Geeks Message Board › Creationisn vs. Evolution

Creationisn vs. Evolution

A former member
Post #: 3
We should be having a topics on the classics like Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens or Pride and Prejudice and any of the other great works. This web meetup is best sticking to the main topic. There is as mentioned plenty of other sites to do this stuff.
Doug
user 13952557
La Puente, CA
Post #: 83
Yeah I always wondered why this meetup about books is so Sci-Fi only books oriented. Not that I don't like Sci- Fi or Fantasy. But I love the classics too. H.G. Wells counts as classics and I like The Civil War by Burns.
Sophie
user 8251299
Long Beach, CA
Post #: 54
Doug and Stan: There is a focus on sci-fi and fantasy in our book club selections, because this is a sci-fi/fantasy based group.

However, I'm open to group members scheduling almost any kind of event. If you think this may be something that other members of the group would enjoy, feel free to schedule a book club meet-up for a book in the general literature genre. :-)
Sophie
user 8251299
Long Beach, CA
Post #: 55
Apparently Morganna cleared the thread!laughing
Garrett
GarrettDanger
Group Organizer
Lakewood, CA
Post #: 14
My bad \(^_^;)/
Bill
user 11120691
Lakewood, CA
Post #: 94
This was stated... Doug and Stan: There is a focus on sci-fi and fantasy in our book club selections, because this is a sci-fi/fantasy based group.

However your not just listed as that form of Book club copied and pasted from the site side bar information....

We're about:
Bookstores · Book Club · Book Discussion · As well as Sci-Fi

When I go into a book store and we cover bookstores there is variety. Just trying to bring balance here. If you only want to limit it to Sci-Fi then take it out of general listings on books.
A former member
Post #: 4
A religion by definition requires faith, and atheism is defined by a lack of faith.
I stumbled on this discussion trying to navigate Meetup's message boards to find out where we are with our 'book club' discussions, so I know I am late to the party. But here goes:

I admire Morganna's thoughtfulness, openness, and eloquence, but, taking a broader view of 'faith,' I disagree that a 'lack of' it defines the atheist viewpoint. On the contrary, I think faith is just as important to an atheist as to anyone, perhaps more so. Successful interpersonal relationships, and some social organization, require that we, as individuals, to some degree, BELIEVE IN EACH OTHER. Yes. That means faith. True, some common sense, and some evidence, comes into play in our relationships, but for the most part we are flying blind, and we thrive because we believe. The alternatives to interpersonal faith are
1) Leave it ALL up to lawyers, and, well...who wants that?
2) Social paralysis
3) Mayhem

Long Beach Geeks, I believe in you. I am not quite ready to pray to you, but still, I believe in you.
A former member
Post #: 6
As atheistic philosopher Michael Ruse admits, “evolution is a religion”, and it could be considered the narrative dimension of Atheism.

Evolution is repeatable science. People have been using the mechanisms of evolution throughout history with the selective breeding of plants and animals, and more formally in laboratories as a means of improving agriculture and human/animal health.

On a human scale, evolution is challenging to study because human generations are so long, and evolution is concerned with change of organisms over time, not individuals.

To get a sense of the science and provability of evolution, seek out the work performed with ‘model organisms’. Model organisms are organisms with relatively short generation spans that are also biologically simple enough to control in laboratories (bacteria, fruit flies, rodents, plants, ect). Gregor Mendel laid the groundwork for genetic research with Pea plants, but he didn’t have the technology to get the full picture and to understand things as deeply as we do today. For anyone interested in learning the science of evolution and why it is NOT a religion, but a repeatedly proven fact, Mendel is a good place to start.

P.
PhotoJoe
Bellflower, CA
Post #: 1,127
Creationism vs Evolution...I don't care.

What I do care about is the necromancy you performed here on a thread that died in 2012.
Garrett
GarrettDanger
Group Organizer
Lakewood, CA
Post #: 81
We have ourselves a thread zombie...

I feel silly going back and reading all of this :P barely remember writing any of it....