addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

TinkerMill: The Longmont Makerspace Message Board › We have some space choices....

We have some space choices....

Scott C.
Longmont, CO
UPDATE on space.  THREE choices:  The mall,  The city,  Private commercial.

I visited the Mall yesterday and was shown three spaces.  1200SF1500SF3000SF$250 mo for the two smaller ones.$500 mo for the big one (which also has a back door giving us 24/7 access).All have a private bathroom.  None have a kitchen.

The upside:  Cheap, HUGE easy to use space, one big room, ability to pilfer abandoned tables, chairs, etc. from around the mall.  We can effectively destroy the space with no consequence (they told me to 'go ahead and rip up the rugs if you want').  NO lease.

The downside:  Short time frame.  If they get the OK to shut down and tear down the mall starting in October, they'll start kicking people out in Sept.

The asst. city manager is actively looking for space for us.
They will find something we can use.  May not be perfect, but it'll work.
I doubt we'll have anything from them in the next week or two, maybe longer, though (it's a city, they work slow).

The upside:  It'll be FREE.  No cost.  (possibly utilities, but even that's unlikely).  It links us with the city (we'll get quick access to services like Gigabit Fiber, grants, businesses, donations, etc.).  No lease.

The Downside:  Not much, other than it'll take awhile and it'll be limited in it's use (likely not 24/7 access.  Likely not a space we can get too messy in, but not sure on that).

The NIX excavating spot looks promising and the Kimbark property does as well.  Both are likely to be around $1000+ plus utilities (figure, best case $1400 a month total).
Both are designed for this kind of thing (cement floors, bay doors, 220 power (likely), etc.).

The upside:  No time limits, no functional limits (we can do anything we want in either space, including really messy stuff like welding).

The downside:  Expensive rent (comparatively) and utilities.  Long term (at least 1 year) lease.

My personal inclination, and the group that attended the meeting last night (about 15 of us) is the following:

- Say yes to the Mall space.  (big one).  $500 is cheap.  Do it now and get started on collecting gear and making the TinkerMill entity real (on paper and in the real world)

- Say yes to the City and, when they come through, move from the mall space (could be 3 weeks from now, could be 3 months, either way, no lease on the mall space, no downside other than having to move).

- Hold off on commercial space until 1) we see what the city offers and 2) we see what happens with the Old Mill property.

Thoughts?  Input? Agreement? Rebellion?

user 99245202
Longmont, CO
Post #: 1
Hello to all - My first post since contacting Scott and joining up.

Just my .02 cents ...

Free is nice, but access issues are a pain. If it's not a 24/7 access, that could affect personal schedules. I work in IT, like others probably do to, and my schedule is determined by on-call a lot of times. I could go weeks without a hot meal ..... er I mean having 8-5 access, but maybe I have my free time at 10pm.

I think its likely the mall WILL get torn down. Being a native to this area, I don't think there is a better plan.

With that said I think it comes down to how much time one wants to invest on squatting/moving around versus being comfortable and being able to do what we all want to accomplish in this adventure. Also, is comfort worth upwards of $100 (guesstimate not knowing much) a month for everyone?

I think there are too many unknowns at this point for me to answer for myself. I'm inclined to go the city route, but only if it's semi-unrestricted access. If it's restricted, it's not worth it. The mall sounds grand and all, but if it's temporary it will only stifle growth. Commercial sounds good, but only with a high member count. Is there a limit? Should there be a limit? Is there a limit given the space size?

I'm sorry if I'm asking questions that have been answered before my time. Thinking out loud ... :)

Scott C.
Longmont, CO
Post #: 2

Good questions. Did you have a preference though?

We're having this conversation more on google groups. Thread is here:­