addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Egg shell colors

Egg shell colors

Gila
user 58290262
Valley Village, CA
Post #: 8
Hi All,
I recently introduced 3 new hens to my flock of 2. Prior to the introduction, my Rhode Island Red was laying dark/ rich brown eggs. Since the introduction of the new hens, my Rhode Island Red has slowed her egg laying and the color of the shells has become a light brown. I know she isn't fond of the new hens but she seems to be fine otherwise. Is this something I should worry about??
Thanks,
Gila
Laura B.
FarmerLaura
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 50
Hi Gila,

Brown egg layers usually lay lighter eggs as the season goes on. When they molt or go broody or otherwise stop laying, the eggs will be dark when they start laying again.

Also, chickens usually slow down or even stop laying in fall and winter. It is natural for them to lay less during the times when it is harder to raise chicks, and there is some evidence that hens that take a break in winter are less prone to prolapse and may be healthier and longer lived.