addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Any Heritage breed enthusiasts in this group?

Any Heritage breed enthusiasts in this group?

Ann
Prayerwheel
Sunland, CA
Post #: 8
Greetings! I just joined this group a few days ago and am happy to be here! I am just at the beginning stages of educating myself on chicken guardianship and am looking for personal experience information that may help me in selecting and caring for the "right" chickens for me :0)
The qualities I'm looking for are: eggs for myself and perhaps a couple friends if there are leftovers and assistance in the garden. They will be pets (never eaten for food) so I want friendly, social and docile birds and even though I'm in an equestrian area where chickens are legal I would prefer to have quieter breeds overall.
I'm thinking probably 3 or 4 would be the max number I can care for.
They would be in a tricked out coop for much of the day and I'm just learning about the mobile houses to have them in the garden to 'assist' and graze but also be protected.
Any suggestions, advice, musings or general info would be greatly appreciated!
Thank yu in advance,
Ann
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 242
hello Ann and welcome.
since you are new and looking for information, be aware that you can also use the 'search' function on top of the message board page... this forum is awesome and have all kind of information for someone starting out.

Victoria and Marty have posted awesome list of things you should consider... as them and Roberta and many others have posted, if we had known what it entails to have chickens, probably we would not be doing it - or would be doing it very differently... if you are doing it for eggs, in my opinion is SO not worth it - economically speaking and just for eggs, no.

If you are doing it for pets, my opinion is that takes LOTS LOTS LOTS more work than if you have them for livestock...

I suggest you enter the word "newbie" in the search box on top of the message board. I would suggest you read all those posts... even if the post wasn't intended to talk about newbie's issues, there a LOTS of very useful information... you want to go into the experience of chickens well informed on what it takes...

don't get me wrong... it is AN AMAZING experience, but you need to have the time and energy and money to properly care for them...

good luck and keep us posted,

Ann
Prayerwheel
Sunland, CA
Post #: 9
Ahhhh Laura, thanks so much for your candid reply! I will take your sage words under advisement and heed your suggestions to search though the info files :0)
In gratitude
Ann