addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › ITS ALL MY FAULT....IM SOO BUMMED!!

ITS ALL MY FAULT....IM SOO BUMMED!!

Ron F.
user 11466035
Whittier, CA
Post #: 26
After a long and stressful day(yesterday), I came to my room, and fell fast asleep,..................forgetting to close up the chicken coop. Woke up this morning at 4:55 am, a noise from my backyard woke me up. After getting up, dressed, and loading my air soft gun( non lethal deterrent)... I noticed a lot of feathers near the coop, looked in, to do a head count, 2...... out of 4 hens present. Damn. Looked over the wall, to the vacant lot, found a dead hen, something chewed on her, but didn't finish. When there was more light, I did a more detailed search, in the vacant lot. I found what was left of the other hen, both feet, and an internal organ or two. I was amazed, at how little was left of my hen, not to mention, there was no blood. One careless act, and now I'm down two hens, with two less egg producers. What could have grabbed both big hens, and finish one completely, not to mention carrying them over the wall?FAILED! I'm so bummed, the day before my birthday-
Leanne
user 11879008
Long Beach, CA
Post #: 105
Oh that is so awful. I am sorry for your loss.

From your description of the carnage, I would guess it was a coyote. Around Long Beach, we have a lot of them, and they will go after the ducks that nest in the bushes around our neighborhood. We live next to a duck pond. One summer morning about 3 years ago, we woke up to the remains of a duck on our front lawn, and it looked similar to what you described. Animal Control came out and said it was probably a coyote. She also said they can jump as high as a 6 ft fence if really motivated.
Ron F.
user 11466035
Whittier, CA
Post #: 27
Yea...(deep sigh), kinda figured coyote as well....but its hard to imagine, that a coyote would be in my backyard, considering, the hills, and riverbed, are a ways away. I guess maybe the railroad tracks, a few blocks away....thank you for sharing my loss-
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 163
I know that feeling. It's terrible. So sorry. It's inevitable to have a hard day. I'm going to add an automatic door opener so that they will be safe, no matter what time i get home. Once the predator knows that they are there, whatever it was, they'll be back. We've installed some security lights which are solar so no wiring and they are super bright. I'm hoping the light could be another deterrent.
Ron F.
user 11466035
Whittier, CA
Post #: 28
Yeah, we had our porch light, as well as lights outside the house on. Not flood lights, but enough light to be able to see most of the yard, I can even see the coop from my bedroom window,its about 45- 50 ft.. this is the first time, we've encountered this situation,....
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 245
hi Roy, so sorry about your hens... that has to hurt... but I would not be so hard on yourself... probably most of us have done it... leaving doors open... I have done it... we just can't be perfect... but it's hard and I'm sorry... coyotes are amazing in their patience to wait for the right chance... they learn patterns and are known to stay up until 7am or later just waiting for a 'meal'...

your situation makes me more vigilant with my own flock... since this happened to another member -forgot his name - I always close the doors as they go into their coops to sleep, but I decided to make it a habit to go out, just before going to bed, and make sure my three doors to the run area are closed... I decided that even if I knew 100% I had closed them, I was to go out anyway, just before going to bed --- lately I was starting to not do it... so in a way your hens sacrifice for all of us here who, probably now, will be much more careful again...

A former member
Post #: 32
Ron,
Definitely coyote! Sorry this happened to you. I know people that lost a few chickens because they were too tired to close the coop for the night.
When coyote knows that there is a food source they can come any time of the day. I met coyotes face to face during middle of the day. Be careful now, because he will be coming back from now on, just to check if he can have such an easy catch again.
Melonie M.
meloniemagruder
North Hollywood, CA
Post #: 70
Laura, it's an awful feeling, I know. So sorry to lose your girls.
Margie L.
MargieLevy
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 10
I'm so sorry about your hens! It can happen to the best of us.

After forgetting to close the door one night after a really bad day, my husband and I decided to get an automatic door. We actually made it our anniversary present to each other! We were lucky that one time we forgot, and knew it could happen again. We've had the Pullet-Shut (http://www.chickendoo...­) since mid August and it's the best present ever! It has a light sensor so it opens after sunrise and closes after sunset. No need to keep re-programing as the days get longer or shorter. It's very well made and I'm always happy to support another chicken owner's business especially here in the US. I had some questions when we first installed it and customer service was superb. I found it to be very well priced compared to the other options on the internet. The girls are very happy too!
Amanda G
user 12128708
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 54
I had 2 coyotes show up at the bottom of my hill yesterday 8:30am!!! and try to settle in for a nap.... I threw a rock at them and they ran away. I am now hesitant to let my girls roam the yard and when they do I stay right with them! I have also had more hawks flying by.... Cheeky things landed right on my run!!! Ugh. Oh and I had a really dumb skunk in the yard the other morning .... Silly thing couldn't figure out how to get back out!!!

I'm considering getting the pullet shut door too even though my run is supposedly predator proof.... At least early morning visits from these predators won't scare the girls half to death!!!