addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Broody and Chick Pic and Question

Broody and Chick Pic and Question

Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 165
One of our english game hens went broody because i left the eggs in the coop for a couple days and she was so loud and obnoxious i figured i would give her some eggs to hatch. I gave her 3 silkie eggs from Wes' and she took one of those. And i gave her 3 of peewee's. 2 of peewee's hatched with a buff (girl) and a RIR of unknown sex. The third was somehow snagged by one of the dogs which i found outside. The silkie eggs didn't hatch.

Now she has two chicks. One for under each wing. It's wonderful to watch and thought someone would like to see them. If you would be interested in the chicks or the hen or having all three together you are welcome. It's very cute to watch them and thought someone might have kids that would like to watch them grow up. Right now they are in a bedroom roaming around. If not I'll add them to our flock.

I've been keeping them in a bedroom. Could I put them in the coop with the big girls as long as the english game hen known now as Little Mama, came from that flock? Or should i wait to put little mama back when she loses interest in the chicks and the chicks to a flock when they are bigger?

Thanks.

Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 247
hello Roberta,
those moms with new babies are always so adorable!!! thanks for the pic!

I'm sure every flock is different and hens all have different personalities, so probably there will be many answers to your question... I can only tell you from my experience...

It depends on the personality of the mama hen... and if she fights for her chicks, the other adults will just leave them alone... but sometimes the mama hen has a low pecking order and does not have the strength or courage to fight the alpha hens - I once had to separate the mom and her two chicks because - as an amazing mom as she was - she couldn't overcome the fact she was low in the pecking order and the other adults kept attacking the chicks --- one got attacked pretty bad and I had to take her and the two chicks to my bedroom and leave them there for two days (with me taking them out when I could) until the little chick healed... it left a pretty bad scar up to this day...

so I would be very careful and watch and see what others do - sometimes it takes a second for an adult to rip the skin of a baby and can be fatal...

This particular mama hen is an american game and super protective of her babies and super good mama, AND belong to the same coop... AND still that didn't help... so good luck,

let us know what happens,

Leanne
user 11879008
Long Beach, CA
Post #: 107
Your picture is so precious!

I too, think where a hen is in the pecking order has a lot to do with how easy an integration of mama and chicks will go. My top hens never have had a problem, but when I have let low pecking order hens raise chicks, they either get picked on like Laura said, or worse, the chicks end up kind of skittish.

I still let my lower pecking order hens raise chicks, but I keep them separate in the garage or broody rabbit hutch pen until I sell the chicks. They do free range with the flock usually without problems.

Roberta, since your hen only has two chicks, it might be easier for her to integrate back into the flock and coop. I think it is one of the those things you just have to observe and see how it goes. Maybe try letting the new family free range with the rest of the flock for a week or so initially, but put her and the chicks in their own sleeping brood pen at night, kind of make a gradual transition.

Best Wishes!
Laura B.
FarmerLaura
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 58
Mama Orp is lowest on the pecking order in my flock, but I was able to integrate her and the chicks into the coop when the chicks were two weeks old. I did it on a day when I was working in my garden, and just watched for any problems. Except for the other Buff Orpington stalking the chicks for a little while, it went very smoothly. I think the Wyandottes actually like the chicks. The non-mother BO still pecks the chicks when they are around food she wants, but she has not caused any injuries.

I think it depends on the individual birds in your flock.
Marie M.
user 45254602
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 9
Roberta - that is soooo cute! I never realized how maternal chickens were. It will be awhile before any of my girls go broody but I had thought about letting them sit on an egg to hatch. I love the photo - thanks for sharing!
Amanda G
user 12128708
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 52
Roberta I've hatched a few times with a broody hen. My first one popcorn was the lowest on the pecking order.... I was really worried about her so I built a lean to enclosure to keep her & the chicks safe while the others got used to the chicks.... Popcorn found her calling as a mama hen and the other hens left her and the babies alone. The structure was flawed as the other hens just put tgeir heads through the nesting box to get a look.... So I took it down after the first day.. I have heard horror stories about other hens attacking chicks so just see how they do.

The next hen that went broody was one of the top hens so I didn't worry about her at all and it was fine. From what I've read people say to introduce them back into the flock ASAP. If you keep the hen away too long she will loose her place in the pack which might in turn cause more problems integrating the babies. Just give them plenty of space and watch your other hens around the chicks.... The mama hen will protect her babies!!! It is the cutest thing watching the babies tuck themselves under the mama hen.

Good luck.