addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › found egg cracked open without it's shell this morn

found egg cracked open without it's shell this morn

Devorah B.
DevBee
Sherman Oaks, CA
Post #: 4
The membrane was opened, it felt like a terrifying sign of the end-of-times or something. Should I be worried? Should I get more calcium into the chicken feed or scratch? I've always heard that once a hen pecks at an egg it can be very risky, she'll always want to peck at eggs...
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 255
I believe it was Marty that uses black oil sunflower seeds to help with shellless eggs. I get mine at Winco for about $25 for a 25lb bag. Yogurt with extra crushed eggshells just to give a big boost.
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 363
hi Deborah,
nothing to worry about... it happens from time to time, even with the best nutrition... Yes, adding calcium is always a great idea. I mix it with the lay mash, in the form of oyster shells. I also, give mine sunflower seeds twice a day - first thing in the morning and last thing in the day. They have come to expect it and I'm gladly and freely giving it. Marty has suggested, as Roberta pointed out, that sunflower seeds may help with shell-less eggs. He also prefers the Trader Joe's form of calcium (I keep forgetting to get it when I'm there) I believe he gets the regular human calcium supplement in tablet form - don't remember how he gives it to his girl though.

I would not be worry about your girls pecking at the eggs... this was shell-less not as if they cracked the shell :)
Devorah B.
DevBee
Sherman Oaks, CA
Post #: 6
thanks to all of you AGAIN and AGAIN for your help...so very grateful...:)
A former member
Post #: 75
Just wanted to add that chickens eating their own eggs is nothing strange, if an egg is broken accidentally or laid shell-less they will waste no time eating it, and it's perfectly normal. They are reacting to instinct and since eggs come at a high protein cost they would rather not lose that protein if the egg is forfeit. What would be strange is chickens picking shelled eggs apart, that would indicate low omega-3 or protein and would be a dietary issue.
A former member
Post #: 293
Like others have said it may be an occasional malfunction or nutritional deficiency. In my case it, with an older hen and chronic, a combination of oyster shells and sunflowers with the shell helped. You could add calcium in the water (crushed calcium pill from Trader Joe's), and I know Laura and others feed the egg shells back to the hen. It is good practice to crush those egg shells because if the chickens recognize it as an egg they may start eating their own eggs.

If it rarely happens I wouldn't worry but if chronic, and the shell is left inside, it can create an infection.