addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Science Center administrators dealing out threats

Science Center administrators dealing out threats

A former member
Post #: 226
Here is the note I sent to the Farm Sanctuary people who have been in phone conference with the district representatives. I refer to the note Vicki posted with the latest strong-arm tactics---

Meredith and Susie---

I am copying additional information that is making the rounds, verifying the extent of the hazing that Nan is being subjected to. She has been under this duress for 8 years, and no wonder it is making her hysterical.
By the way, the notion of "recording" these diatribes by the administrators is not a workable solution---they are saying it to her face, and always have. It is not on the phone. She has extensive notebooks recording the drama, however, going back to the beginning. I have talked to folks in the community and they verify the travesty, as well. Also, as I mentioned earlier, I have made contact with the former caretaker, Bill Fitzpatrick, who is now a longshoreman, who worked in the same difficult, straited positon for 25 years. I talked with him on the phone extensively yesterday. He is more than available to give testimony to the great burdens imposed by the LAUSD in doing humane animal care at that facility, as well as one they imposed on his week-ends at Griffith Park, some 45 minutes away. (that facility is shut down now)
I am sincerely hoping you may use FS's high profile to inform these people of the great damage they are doing to community relations, their own ragged reputation, and the animals that depend on humans for protection and sustenance. They have no grounds for the bullying and threatening behavior they are taking with the only caretaker who has a dedication to these animals. They have been given more than ample time to do the right reforms as begged and pleaded for by the current caretaker, neighbors and volunteers in the community, and former caretakers. I got a earful of stories of egregious, abusive treatment of caretakers and animals (animals struck and bloodied by a former administrator, a child struck by the same individual, animals habituated to humans thrown out of cages to fend on their own, a fire that was started by a delinquent when he threw a bottle rocket that brought the whole neighborhood out and endangered the SC buildings, etc)
I suggest a mediated solution to the situation, with FS as the go-between and all staff from LAUSD that are causing/contributing/overseeing this reprehensible situation be present and accountable by documentation.
Please let me know what you think. I will be trying to meet with the supervisor of the local Animal Control office on Monday, as Nan has a good relationship with him. (as noted in the italicized portion above, Animal Control has been bringing Nan animals for re-hab for years, and she is being told that is now not allowed)
Susan Rudnicki 30-374-4779
JJ
user 80252532
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 45
too bad last Friday KNX 1070 am was doing a site broadcast from San Pedro and Palos Verdes...

Here's a list of current officials who might take an interest in what happens in San Pedro.
http://www.sanpedro.c...­

former supervisor Janice Hahn might be brought in as she still has strong ties to the community
see her san pedro tweets and other notices regarding education, etc
http://hahn.house.gov...­
A former member
Post #: 227
This is the latest note from the Farm Sanctuary people, who have been convening over this issue since last week---remember, they are all in New York, though they now run the former "Animals Acres" sanctuary in Acton. The 2 women I have been speaking with on the phone, Susie Coston, Nat'l Shelter Director, and Meredith Turner, Media and Communications Director, have also been the ones dealing with the LAUSD. On Thursday afternoon last week, the district had made all sorts of concessions and promises to FS and to Nan, mostly as a way of avoiding media exposure. Weirdly, by Friday, all of that had evaporated, and the administrators (Tina Perry and Ayham Dahi) were back to their old ways, badgering and threatening Nan. The FS people could hardly believe it when I told them about the 180 turnaround. Nan had a hard weekend. I was at the SC on Sunday and Monday, helping clean cages and talking upbeat to Nan to get her to focus on the site visit by FS.
This is the main problem as I see it---The animals and Nan have a large contingent of supporters in the volunteers, the neighbors (the SC is right in the middle of a residential neighborhood) the former 25 year caretaker at the site, the woman the place is named after, the neighborhood council, the animal rescue and advocacy community, the supervisor of the Harbor Animal shelter, and FS----BUT THERE IS NO FORUM for the voices of these people to be heard as one voice. LAUSD is the loudest and the only one the media writes about when describing the troubles of the center. They focus only on the funding they say is not there ---and outrageously exorbitant funding, if you ask me. There needs to be a mediation, with FS as mediator, and the issues need to be plainly out in view, not hidden in threats and daily harrassment and edicts. All must be documented on paper.
No one is going to be able to go in and adopt animals, the administrators are adamant. But these people are also very sensitive about the publicity, and this is the leverage FS is using. If any of you has the inclination to notify interested parties, such as Hahn, etc., please make the calls and get the officials to address the LAUSD. We need people who care about this valuable resource and the animals to make the phone calls to make noise.
This is the note from FS on Monday to me---

Hi Susan,

We’d love for you to be present during our site visit. Thank you so much. Our representative isn’t able to visit the site until Wednesday, however. I’m not sure yet what time our rep will be able to go, but I will keep you posted. Ayham has informed us that he will not be there on Wed, but Tina Perry along with Nan, Ron, and Laurence (the other two science technicians who also care for the animals) will be there.

I’ll be in touch tomorrow with the time.

Thanks again!
Meredith

Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 542
Susan, you are amazing... doing all this work for the center is really wonderful! you are accumulating really nice karma points :)

you said please make the calls and get the officials need to address LAUSD... do you have the names of the people at LAUSD and their contact info, phone numbers?
A former member
Post #: 230
HI, Laura---Please read this note further down for Shannon Haber. I don't have much as I have been the go-between for Farm Sanctuary getting involved in oversight and all the advocacy folks who contacted me with concern---including neighbors of the Center. Farm Sanctuary has been in conversation with the LAUSD media and communications people, who are VERY eager to avoid media spotlights on this decades long poor funding and management. One of the most egregious examples is the payment of the caretaker for the animals for ONLY 5 DAYS A WEEK PAY, a prima facie admission that animals do not need daily care and feeding/watering. The previous caretaker of 25 years also had the same pay schedule! So, for 33 years this district has essentially admitted they do not take the responsibility for typical, common sense care for these animals in their possession. Nan, and prior to her, Bill, worked weekends for no pay---also all furlough days. Vacations almost never, for fear of what they would discover on returning. At the site visit yesterday, one of the part-time guys who is supposed to help Nan but is frightened of the animals, mentioned that they used to "throw out extra food on Friday for the animals to make it through the weekend" This invites gorging, bloating and no possibility of discovering any dire health events, should they occur. Not acceptable animal care, as the FS rep. commented.
If you want to run down her contacts, Shannon Haber, as I don't have them but she WAS AT THE MEETING WEDNESDAY, ----

From a DAily Breeze article in 4/12
" Los Angeles Unified School District spokeswoman Shannon Haber, said the center - located on former Navy property at at 2201 Barrywood Ave. - will be "fully operational with full student access. "

Staffing, food for the animals and utilities will be provided."
Ms Haber fails to note that the food and staffing on weekends ("fully operational") is not on paid salary staff, but done gratis by Nan alone.
If any of you can volunteer to help clean, feed, water, the many chickens, ducks, geese, and other animals there is great need. I am tasked with that effort, as FS asked me. Susan Rudnicki 310-374-4779