addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Breed suggestions

Breed suggestions

nora
user 12397577
Monterey Park, CA
Post #: 61
for those living in this los angeles heat I'd love to get some suggestions about what breed(s) of hens like this climate.

not only am I concerned that they are heat tolerant. these are other things I'm looking into --

egg layer , productivity about/ > 5 times a week -- for long amount of years
likes humans -- enjoys being a pet
docile
not skittish / flighty
hearty -- not prone to illness / disease / system problems
not need to be spoiled
not broody
don't need a rooster

these hens will be my pets, will not eat them
Sven
user 28416502
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 55
I find that the individual character of the chicken trumps the breed when it comes to being docile and friendly. I have a leghorn who is super friendly, agile and a white egg laying machine. Since they are by nature very skinny, Leghorn seem to cope with the heat the best. I don't think they are considered a heritage chicken as they were bred for factory farming, but in terms of personality and egg laying capabilities it is a frontrunner for me. She lays at least 6 times a week and never slows down in the winter times.

I have a buff orpington who is very friendly and I can put her down anywhere in the garden and she won't destroy the plants. Buffs are known to be broody, but so far I was never able to take advantage of that by having them hatch some eggs. Their egg laying tapers down towards the colder months considerably and they can go for months without laying.

I have a black Australorp who wants nothing more than to be bred everyday and squats in front of me as soon as I approach the run. She never moves out of the way and is always so happy when I pick her up for a moment and pet her. She seems to lay maybe 4 times a week and has great size eggs, but takes a break in the winter as well.

Rhode Island Reds in my experience tend to be very feisty, but I love that as they are usually on top of the pecking order and very vigorous. Pretty strong egg layers too.
I have a Welsummer who is very showy and she loves to sit on top of a post in the run, she lays these unique chocolate colored eggs that rival in novelty with the green eggs of the Ameraucanas. But she seems to lay every other day only.

Alll my three Ameraucana have different personality with one being extremely shy and skittish and the other being very friendly and social with the other chickens. The green eggs are a big hit when we sell our surplus eggs, but they also take a long winter break.

I have three black sexlinks and they are strong egglayers and very much in your face. Always first when it comes to feeding, not afraid to get in your way and steal the food out of your hand.

I think that covers my flock. :)

S.
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 421
I'm fond of my Easter eggers and partridge rock. They all lay eggs 4 or 5 times a week. They also seem to do fine with both hot and cold weather.

My French black copper Marans lays delicious, wonderful eggs 4 or so days a week, but stops more frequently because she's kind of sensitive. She's also not super friendly. She's not mean, just standoffish. I had a mixed breed that was Wyandotte with Ameraucana who was my favorite. She was delightful and pretty. It seems like the heritage breeds lay more like every other day and the eggs are really good and pretty. Less frequent eggs seems to mean less burn out in a short period of time. You kind of have to choice one or the other, I think.
A former member
Post #: 12
I currently own 11 hens in 6 different breeds ( I love a colorful egg basket)
All with the exeption of one of my 3 French cooper Marans are extremely friendly. However, the queen of friendliness is Sunny my Buff Orpington. love struck
Marie M.
user 45254602
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 63
I agree with the others that buff orps are wonderful. I had one and lost her to a bobcat. I then got two more and both have proven to be great like the first one. Temperament and dispositions are very easy going. My Penny gets right in my husband's lap to beg for morning toast. My other one, Buttercup, trots over knowing I will pick her up. I have several other breeds but BO's are the friendliest.