Are you a member of an underrepresented or marginalised group?
Have you always wanted to become a tech conference speaker?
Let 2019 be the year that you make that dream a reality!
Our workshop will have experienced speakers on hand to:
- give you a warm, inclusive welcome in a safe space (check out our Code of Conduct which all participants must adhere to)
- mentor you through the writing of your first talk description aka abstract or proposal
- provide speaking advice
- and share their enthusiasm to get you to the stage!
• What we'll do
This workshop will:
- introduce you to some important concepts around developing your first abstract, presenting, and presentation design
- get you hands-on to practice
- (if you're up for it) present back your abstract
• Detailed agenda
- Biography activity
- Advice video #1: Submitting sessions
- Picking a topic
- Proposal Writing
- Inclusive Language Activity
- Advice video #2: Your perfect tech talk
- Proposal Writing + feedback: 1 to 1 with mentors
- Advice video #3: The day of your talk
- Proposal Writing + feedback
- Attendees present their talk proposal
• What to bring
Pens, notepads, laptops - whatever you think you might need to take notes, sketch ideas, and maybe even do a presentation!
• Important to know
Code of conduct https://www.globaldiversitycfpday.com/code-of-conduct
This event is part of globaldiversitycfpday.com - check it out for other locations!
There isn't dedicated childcare but you're welcome to bring along children
The building is accessible and materials will be availabel for download to screenreaders etc