What we're about
The Mississippi Gulf Coast Tech group is focused on fostering the computer programming/tech community in the Coastal Mississippi region. We are a collection of current entrepreneurs, future entrepreneurs, developers, investors, educators, students, and service providers. The meetup group is intended to provide a regular meeting for those interested in starting, growing, working for, investing in or providing valuable services to technology companies in the Mississippi Gulf Coast area.
The MSGC Tech Meetup is being created by me, Alex Eller, to build a community of people interested in all aspects of tech startups. Other areas of the country have thriving and supportive "user groups" for every tech topic imaginable. I am a Software Engineer that has worked for AOL/Advertising.com for the past 13 years, with the last 6 being remotely from Mississippi. I am also working on my own startup. I started the Jackson Tech Startup Group in May 2012, which now has 500+ members that come together once a month to share their ideas, talent, and support with each other. Now living on the Mississippi gulf coast, I am starting a similar group here to build the same kind of community.
I have reached out to partner with the Biloxi Innovation Center and The Junction Cowork to help grow the group and host the event. It is a great match, a group of people that are interested in starting businesses, and a business that facilitates startups.
The general format of the monthly meeting is:
- Opening remarks and updates
- A Startup pitching of product or idea / call for feedback
- A Technical talk on something functionally useful to build a tech startup (wordpress tutorial/virtual hosting howto's, ...)
- A Business talk (business formation, intellectual property protection, using social media, ...)
- Break out sessions for the 3 talks of the evening if needed
- Mix and mingle, meet your peers, share ideas, network
If this sounds like something you or anyone you know would be interested in, please visit the website, join the group, and help spread the word to grow the group.