addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Magic: The Gathering - DC (DC/MD/VA) Message Board Other/General Discussions › Any interest in a regular standard/draft meetup?

Any interest in a regular standard/draft meetup?

Ray M.
user 46384042
Ashburn, VA
Post #: 2
Hey all,

Well I have only been a member of this meetup for a few weeks or so, but notice that most of the meetups are around the legacy and vintage formats (which I wish I had the money and/or the time to get all those cards). I have seen a couple Cube Drafts which I am not familiar with, but seem interesting so I may try sometime when one falls into a day/time I am available.

I have been going to FNMs and just doing drafts, but I have built my first standard deck and would like to put it through some paces before entering into any standard tournaments, even FNMs. I really think doing more standard and/or drafts will allow me to become a better player and more importantly know the cards and interactions better to become a better deck builder. Plus, just talking with people who are more knowledgeable than me about Magic is surely to help increase my level. I get a little of this at FNMS, but a solid group who meet somewhat regularly would probably be better.

Anyway, just wanted to post a message to see if anyone is interested in a somewhat regular standard and/or draft meetup?
A former member
Post #: 1
Im new to the group aswell and am interested in standard i have a deck working on the second and am willing to participate in a standard draft im in the winchester area 4787334894 hollar if u wanna play or start a draft
Ray M.
user 46384042
Ashburn, VA
Post #: 3
Matthew, great and seems like we are relatively close as I am in Ashburn.

Hopefully we can get a few more in our area to reply and be interested and if so, I can setup a meetup for us and see how it goes. I think 4-8 is a good number for draft/standard play.
Troy
Guinness_X-Stout
Rockville, MD
Post #: 99
Howdy Ray,

Just so you know, our group has no problem with someone using proxies. If there are any rules about them at a Meetup, they usually get posted in the Meetup description. So please don't let the thought of paying a lot of money for cards dissuade you from attending a legacy or vintage game. Just fire up the ol' printer and get to sleevin'. :)

Hey all,

Well I have only been a member of this meetup for a few weeks or so, but notice that most of the meetups are around the legacy and vintage formats (which I wish I had the money and/or the time to get all those cards).

Ray M.
user 46384042
Ashburn, VA
Post #: 4
Hey Troy,

Thanks for telling me that as I did not know that. Nic did tell me that you guys usually have extra legacy and vintage decks at the meetups and it shouldn't be a problem for me to borrow to play. Since I am just back into Magic (last time I played before a month ago was Revised/4th edition) I wanted to get my feet under me with some draft and standard to understand those cards and formats, then I may extend to legacy and vintage, just SOOO many cards to know :) I thought a draft/standard meetup would be nice for some of us "newer" players and since I just built my first standard deck, I am looking to try it out and see how pathetic it is :)

I really appreciate your help and hope to see some of you at some future meetups!

Ray
Charlie
Kartafilos
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 9
If you guys host a draft near a Metro station, I'd be happy to join. I could even supply a cube or some re-packs to make it free. Alternately, if you all can carpool to the big city, we'd be happy to have you at one of our semi-weekly drafts in DC.
Ray M.
user 46384042
Ashburn, VA
Post #: 5
Okay, it's been a couple months for this thread and with Return to Ravnica just being released thought I would resurrect this thread to see if there is any "new" interest in getting a standard/draft group together. I've been drafting at FNMs each Friday I can make it but would like to extend my magic playing to another night of the week or weekend (can't get enough). I would also be interested in being part of a semi-regular standard play testing group if anyone is interested. We can talk about decks and playtest different ones as I am thinking of attending some more competitive events next year, say some Grand Prix or SCG Opens.

If there is enough interest, I would be more than happy to coordinate a meetup and maybe even host depending on the size.

Please reply if you are interested and what time/day options work best for your schedule.

Thanks

P.S. one of these days I will make it into the city for one of those cube drafts, sound really fun. Unfortunately I run multiple football pools and fantasy stuff, so Sundays are high holy days right now :)
Dave L
user 11725738
Arlington, VA
Post #: 40
Charlie and I both have block cubes. There are a few other cubes that people have that aren't block.

Mine are all 3 sets from Zendikar and all 3 sets from Scars. Charlie has sets from Time Spiral, Ravnica1, Kamigawa, and some others. The cards are all sleeved. We shuffle them up and deal them out like regular packs so it's like a regular draft of those sets. It's all free too.

Charlie usually does every other week. I'm trying to get it going so that he does one week and I host the other, but various things have been batting against that, and it's usually a lot harder for people to make it out to Fairfax than to DC. We did SCGO last weekend, and then Charlie cancelled yesterday, and a bunch of people went to CC instead.