For the first MIIA Meetup of 2017, we are looking at showcasing and sharing some more Data Science & Machine Intelligence use cases and related material by members of the MIIA community. See updated agenda below.
The meetup will kick-off at 6pm with presentations and Q&A (approximately an hour and 15 minutes) followed by sufficient time for networking and discussions afterwards.
Parking is available in the basement and parking bays at the back of Woodstock Exchange building
1. Introduction - Dr Jacques Ludik (http://za.linkedin.com/in/jacques-ludik-0b22861) - MIIA (http://machineintelligenceafrica.org/), Cortex Logic (http://cortexlogic.com/), Bennit.AI (http://www.bennit.ai/) 2. Emotion recognition: state of the art networks driving deeper immersive experiences - Dr Mike Grant (http://za.linkedin.com/in/mdgrant), Frans Cronje (http://za.linkedin.com/in/frans-cronje-4162aa47) - DataProphet (http://dataprophet.com/)
3. Relationship between machine learning and traditional inferential statistics and what can we learn from each - Dr Eli Grant (http://uk.linkedin.com/in/eli-grant-b5764795) - Behavioural Science and Impact Analysis, Oxford Refugee Studies Centre, International Astronomical Union Office of Astronomy for Development, University of Oxford (http://www.linkedin.com/company/4477?trk=prof-exp-company-name), UK
4. Distinguishing plants using metabolic barcodes and random forest - Dr Millie Hilgart (http://za.linkedin.com/in/dr-amelia-hilgart-bb878342) - Consultant on the experimental design and statistical analysis of field trials of various products. Previously: Post doc Research Fellow, Botany / Bioinformatics / Molecular Biology, University of Cape Town
5. Data Science at the Centre for High Performance Computing - Dr Catherine Cress (http://za.linkedin.com/in/catherine-cress-20081323) - Principal Research Scientist, Center for High Performance Computing (http://www.chpc.ac.za/)
6. Visualization of Twitter Data in Python - Rockefeller, Master of Mathematical Science at AIMS, Postgraduate School of Sciences, Technology and Geosciences of University of Yaoundé, Cameroon