This group is for all manner of activities related to nature and the outdoors. Events in this meetup will vary - examples include:
• Canoeing and kayaking
• Beach parties
• Cookouts, bonfires, and picnics
• Hikes and nature walks
• Nature appreciation and/or educational events
• Visits to zoos, conservationists, etc.
• Gardening events and classes
• Sports and other fun stuff in a local park
• Outdoor Madison events
• Ski-ing, snow-shoeing, and other fun winter activities
• Hay rides and harvest festivals
• Lots of other stuff!
My goal with this group is to get people out and about in Madison and surrounding areas.
Since I want the group to be as inclusive as possible, most events will be family-friendly. If an event is explicitly not family-friendly, I will mention as such in the event description, and urge co-organizers to follow these same guidelines with their events.
Who should join?
• Anyone who wants to get outside and have fun - whether it be hiking, sports, outdoor concerts, etc.
• Anyone who loves gardening, botany, conservation, or anything else related to nature.
• Anyone looking for family-friendly/kid-friendly activities.
• People who are new to Madison, or who just want to get to know it a little bit more.
Guests are invited to experience the wonder of nature on the trails at Holy Wisdom Monastery. Careful attention is taken here to preserve the grounds to pre-settlement conditions. There are four miles of nature trails (see descriptions below) perfect for a brisk hike or a contemplative walk. Stroll through restored prairies, orchards, wetlands and oak woods. In the winter trails can be used for cross country skiing. The quiet peaceful setting helps enhance your visit here.
Breathe in the fragrance of the forest and prairie. Watch for coyotes, fox, deer, great blue heron, pheasant, turkey and other wildlife. Listen to the song of the indigo bunting, yellow-throated warbler, bluebird and cardinal. Touch the delicate textures of the wood fern. Then taste the wild blackberries and mulberries or a flavorful apple from our orchard. The grounds are home to a diverse ecosystem of plants, fish, animals, humans and other creatures living in a harmonious environment. We take special care of the land for the education of today’s guests and to preserve it for future generations.
Join us for yoga in the park led by Jo Temte.
$5 (children under 10 are free). Classes start at 5:15pm and are 60 minutes per session. Come and go as needed.
Jo is a certified 200-hour yoga instructor. She believes that yoga is for everyone and the best place for yoga is outdoors!
Bring your own mat & water bottle. Restrooms are available for changing. Rain location is inside the Heritage Center.
Times: 5:15 PM to 6:15 PM
Admission: $5 (children under 10 are free)