The history of Vernon as a separate town began in 1762 with the formation of the North Bolton Parish and building of its first meeting house. For the next 65 years this simple building on Old Meetinghouse Hill would be the center of the community where families met not only for worship, but to hold town meetings, exchange news and socialize.
The road to the meeting house from the west climbed a hill that came to be known as Old Meetinghouse Hill. Initially an Indian trail and later a colonial highway it was abandoned when the new church was built leaving it unpaved and much as it was around 1800.
Farmed for a last hundred years by the Strong family the hill was recently saved from development and will be available to the public.
Our speaker, Jon Roe, enjoys exploring Vernon's early history, as well working with local volunteer nonprofits. He maintains a number of websites including Tankerhoosen.info, VernonVolunteers.org and MeetinghouseHIll.org.
The program is free and open to the public.
For further information, please call the Society at[masked] or send an email to [masked] or visit their webpage at